Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Range Finder feed back

Re: Range Finder feed back

had elk at 632 yards in the mist my bushnells wouldnt pick up but my buddies leica had no problem,i know have an ex pair of bushnells and a new pair of leicas

I have the CRF 900,use it mostly for coyotes,but my partner used it on a northern elk hunt last year and ranged a bull at 650yds.I'm more than happy with it. Gunner

I've had the Leica LRF 1200 for a bout 3 years now, I've only used it a few times. I like to set up in a valley, so many of these in mountainous BC, where I can over look a large area. Any time we talk of long range shooting there should be some mention of ethics. One should be practiced at long range shooting and realize your limitations. Right now I wouldn't shoot at an animal more than 600 yards away. I'm planning to practice a fair bit this year and hope to be able to extend that to 700 yards. As opposed to shooting targets animals can move during the TOF of the bullet. To my ethics more than 1/2 second TOF is too much.

Go out when you;re not hunting and try ranging things so you can get familiar with the LRF 900. Realistically speaking except for shooting paper there's no reason for having a range finder with a range greater than what you have. Of course these topics could be discussed in much greater detail, I thought I should mention it.

Alremkin/Gunner,

Good to know....

I've heard nothing but good things about Leica Range Finders. I'm pretty happy with my decision to get one. IMO, in situations where you can afford the best you might as well go for it and avoid dissapointment.
    Last edited by Tikka7mm; 03-09-2008 at 09:32 PM.
    Originally posted by Yappy Yoodle Dog 02/04/08

Another question : Is it possible for me to re-take my CORE and get another hunter number so I can buy two hunting licenses and double my chances of killing something?

Go out when you;re not hunting and try ranging things so you can get familiar with the LRF 900. Realistically speaking except for shooting paper there's no reason for having a range finder with a range greater than what you have. Of course these topics could be discussed in much greater detail, I thought I should mention it.[/quote]

Foulanguage,

Not to worry. I wouldn't even consider a shot outside of 300 yards. It's just nice to have a decent range finder. There have been many instances where I have guessed how far away something is and I am sure I have been way off 50% of the time. It'll just be nice to know for sure..shot placement should improve.
    Originally posted by Yappy Yoodle Dog 02/04/08

Another question : Is it possible for me to re-take my CORE and get another hunter number so I can buy two hunting licenses and double my chances of killing something?