Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3-9x40 vs. 4-12x40

Hybrid View

3-9x40 vs. 4-12x40

Much advantage with the 4-12 if say looking at a deer at 200-300yds compared to the 3-9??. Thanks Rob
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 3-9x40 vs. 4-12x40

None I'd say. 200 or 300 yards is not that far away...

12 power is tough to keep steady enough to see effectively unless you have a good rest to hold to.
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

I have a 4.5-14 burris on one of my rifles and I like it a lot. It gathers little well and it could make the difference when you have to count points before you can pull the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulies View Post
    I have a 4.5-14 burris on one of my rifles and I like it a lot. It gathers little well and it could make the difference when you have to count points before you can pull the trigger.
    That's why you have binocluars with you.
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk View Post
    That's why you have binocluars with you.

I've used my 12x scope to count that 4th little point on a mule deer that I couldn't find with my 10x binoculars.
    I'd definitely go for the 4-12x, I like it for sighting in too.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayelkslayer View Post
    I've used my 12x scope to count that 4th little point on a mule deer that I couldn't find with my 10x binoculars.
    I'd definitely go for the 4-12x, I like it for sighting in too.
    Hopefully that 4th little point on that mule deer wasn't a twig/branch by some guys head and he's all camoed up....I think using your scope is a very unsafe and irresponsible way of looking at/for game. Look at it from the other perspective..................binoculars don't have a barrel with a bullet looking at whatever you are.
    "Know your Land, Know Your Prey" - Mantracker

"I still don’t know why I fish or why other men fish, except that we like it and it makes us think and feel."Roderick Haig-Brown

www.nrgcbc.ca

Quote Originally Posted by .303 View Post
    Hopefully that 4th little point on that mule deer wasn't a twig/branch by some guys head and he's all camoed up....I think using your scope is a very unsafe and irresponsible way of looking at/for game. Look at it from the other perspective..................binoculars don't have a barrel with a bullet looking at whatever you are.
    I think you've got it all wrong partner. I knew that mulie was there. I wasn't "looking for deer" with my scope. I don't agree with doing that at all. I had been watching that deer for a while through my binos at about 250 yards, but couldn't find the 4th little point that I needed for it to be legal. So, cranked the scope up to 12x and there it was, clear as day.
    And if you think I'm looking at this deer with a bullet in the chamber and my finger on the trigger than your wrong. I don't see the harm in doing this whatsoever. I really disagree with your comment.

I don't mind the higher power scopes.

None I'd say. 200 or 300 yards is not that far away...
    You will have 3X extra over the 3-9
    Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear.

Well, look at it this way - a 3-9 would allow you to shoot something at 900 yards with the same view you would get at 100 yards with the naked eye (which most people with reasonable eyesight would consider a fairly easy shot to take with a 1x scope). Obviously, you're never (I hope) going to fling lead at a critter at 900 yards out. In more practical terms - that same 9 power would let you see a critter at 300 yards as if it was at 34-ish yards. Most of us think that's plenty of zoom. To be honest, even a fixed 4 power or a 2-7 is plenty to allow you to accurately place a shot at sane hunting ranges. Me and a buddy spent half a day banging the 250 yard gong at the range in off-hand target practice with a 4 power the other day - and we were nailing about 9 out of 10 with the little 4 power, and didn't feel like we needed more zoom.

However, that said - a 4-12 would make counting points in the scope easier, if that's how you count points (I concur that bino's is the proper way to get a point count).
    "...the truth will make you free." John 8:32