Thread: Homemade targets

Homemade targets

Looking into archery targets and was wondering, any homemade targets you have come up with that did or didn't work?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Homemade targets

Burlap sack or two filled with plastic wrap from a grocery store. Apparently bags of peat moss work well too. Once they are destroyed throw em in the garden.
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

Super easy! Go to a construction site where there is insulating going on, Take all the plastic insul. bags and stuff them into 1 bag, better yet put 2 or 3 bags over top and turn the last 2 inside out for a all white finish, then you can draw circles or whatever ya want with a felt pen! Quick easy and free, they are usually happy to see the garbage dissapear! Make a few if ya can, works great, been using them for a couple years now!
    Hunt to live-live to hunt!

One of our suppliers always has coffee bags (burlap sacks) and alot of shrink wrap, so I just got them to fill up the coffee bags with shrink wrap until 5 of them were full, voila an archery range. then just pound 2 raspberry poles in to tie each sack to. ONly thing is the arrows will fly through the target unless you compress the heck out of the shrink wrap.
    Last edited by pupper; 02-12-2008 at 10:18 AM. Reason: additional info
    "Using your legs to go up a road is called walking, not hiking and if you have a gun over your shoulder or a bow in hand it's called road hunting."
    -Goat Guy. Dec 3/09.

The most reliable I've found is a cardboard box with rags. You don't want to pack the rags just have them loose. "Fluff" them up occasionally so they don't get packed at the back of the box. Recycle the cardboard when it gets shot out and re-use the rags.
    For every person with a spark of genius............. there are a hundred with ignition trouble!!!

my best was about 15 layers of carpet clamped together on the top ONLY with 2x4's. no clamp on the bottom, just hanging. i also used to shoot broadheads into it. with the clamp on the top only the arrows would never go through unless the carpet was really beat up. even the broadheads typically wouldn't. and with the broadheads you could go to the layer it made it to, separate the carpet and unscrew the broadhead and pull the shaft out. worked awesome. and i used to shoot for about 2 hours a day all week.
    Bang, flop

Quote Originally Posted by Scobo View Post
    my best was about 15 layers of carpet clamped together on the top ONLY with 2x4's. no clamp on the bottom, just hanging. i also used to shoot broadheads into it. with the clamp on the top only the arrows would never go through unless the carpet was really beat up. even the broadheads typically wouldn't. and with the broadheads you could go to the layer it made it to, separate the carpet and unscrew the broadhead and pull the shaft out. worked awesome. and i used to shoot for about 2 hours a day all week.

Ditto for me too, I found the jute back carpet better than the foam back stuff. Worked wonderful, easy, any size you want, within reason, and free to boot.
    "Society will forever judge hunters by their compassion for the animals they hunt." Author, Jim Slinsky

A women never looks so good as when she comes in wet and dirty from hunting.

I consider "coffee bags" the best as the extra course and loose bag fibers tend to move away from the arrows instead of being cut as is the case of tight burlap bags .
    When the bag is stuffed they tend to be a bit round but a good foot stomping will flaten them out .
    Cheers
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

I copied this from the Archery Talk Forum.....I think?

Anyways I took an old square rubbermaid tote, cut a square opening in the lid, leave the rim so it snaps back on with about 2" around the edge.
    Cut squares of old carpet(jute back facing up) to fit inside tote....mine held about 25-28 pieces(almost 2') When you get to the top, snap the lid on. You can Pin paper targets to the top carpet layer or just paint a target to the carpet backing.....lay on it's side and your done.

I've put over a thousand field tips into mine and no pass throughs yet !
    Keeps the mess inside the tote too !

Cut squares of old carpet(jute back facing up) to fit inside tote....mine held about 25-28 pieces(almost 2') When you get to the top, snap the lid on. You can Pin paper targets to the top carpet layer or just paint a target to the carpet backing.....lay on it's side and your done.

This is so neat. I have to try it....