Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Home built meat cooler ??

Re: Home built meat cooler ??

I got given a R/V roof A/C unit that I plan on building a
    portable unit from one day...

Hey Clint , I hope all is well with you and your family (dogs included). Friends of mine purchased a used air conditioner (House window type) and have very good results with it . It provides the much needed ventilation and if you place the thermocoupler outside the cooler it alse functions as a freezer . The cooler was made with a 6 in wood frame insulation and plywood outer .
    Cheers - Ken
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

We have had this for about 10 years. Works very well. Old household a/c unit on the front. Plug into 110v or power off a 2800 watt gen set that sits above it. We have a wooden shroud that slides over the a/c unit for travel. Factory thermostat changed to allow the a/c unit to go colder. With 8 moose quarters (previously cooled from hanging for a day or two to skin over) hanging the unit will cycle from 38 deg down to 34deg and it will do that for day after day. No more running for a butcher after knockin' your animal down on opening morning and your hunting trip is over ! Mid August Moose hunts are never a problem.
    The rear half of the trailer has a fold down ramp for running the bikes into or just gear storage.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...05-Moric-1.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...Dayweeke-2.jpg
    Last edited by Don in BC; 02-09-2008 at 12:26 AM.
    Silence.......Half light....Was that an ear twitch?

Hey Don

That's a real nice setup. You said
    Factory thermostat changed to allow the a/c unit to go colder.
    What kind of thermostat was that and does it stay pretty dry inside the trailer?
    I'm going to the dogs.
    Airy Mtn. Airedales

I don't know what make the thermostat is and the trailer is tarped right now so I can't go look. It is mounted on the wall above the a/c unit. It's a commercial thermostat, 4" high,2" in width,gray metal case. The trailer in well sealed and no moisture problems. I always hang my game for a day or two to make sure it is cool. The a/c unit never frosts up if I do that. Problems occur if you put warm moist meat in there without cooling first. I have a indoor/outdoor thermometer mounted on the outside of the trailer so I can monitor temps without opening the door. 15" wheels and load range D tires handle the weight well ,backed up by 3/4 ton springs with overloads.
    Last edited by Don in BC; 02-12-2008 at 09:51 PM.
    Silence.......Half light....Was that an ear twitch?

ive been wanting to build one
    KEEP SHOOTING OR SHOOT A BIG GUN!!!!
    IF YOU DON'T HUNT YOU AINT RIGHT IN THE HEAD!!!!!!!!!
    A SCREAMING ELK THERE'S NOTHIN BETTER!!!!!!
    KNOW WHEN TO KEEP THE WIFE OUT OF MY HUNTING SPOTS !!!!!!!!!!

I saw another thread maybe here or another site, a guy had a large freezer with the coolbot temp sensor on it so the freezer only turned on 5-10 minutes an hour and that kept the meat the right temp.

If using a household A/C unit, does the air have to be vented out also, or does the unit recycle inside air ?
    If vented out for a start, that could take care of moisture issues ?
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

I just recently finished building one. Inside dimensions are 3 ft wide, 5 1/2 ft long, and 6 1/2 feet high. Was hoping to have it done sooner, but the motor took much longer to be finished. I got a motor out of an old pop cooler from the local refridgeration place. He fixed it up nice for me and we tested it and it works fine. Will be ready for next season with it.

Quote Originally Posted by gbear View Post
    I just recently finished building one. Inside dimensions are 3 ft wide, 5 1/2 ft long, and 6 1/2 feet high. Was hoping to have it done sooner, but the motor took much longer to be finished. I got a motor out of an old pop cooler from the local refridgeration place. He fixed it up nice for me and we tested it and it works fine. Will be ready for next season with it.
    gbear what did the motor cost you and can a guy get one
    KEEP SHOOTING OR SHOOT A BIG GUN!!!!
    IF YOU DON'T HUNT YOU AINT RIGHT IN THE HEAD!!!!!!!!!
    A SCREAMING ELK THERE'S NOTHIN BETTER!!!!!!
    KNOW WHEN TO KEEP THE WIFE OUT OF MY HUNTING SPOTS !!!!!!!!!!