Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: duck boats

Re: duck boats

There is just something about the fatboyDP that's calling my name. Have you watched the short video clips? That thing would be so awesome for hunting around the bay for puddlers or divers. I want a cockpit that's big enough for the dog to be able to sit behind me and still be comfortable. Maybe some day...
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

The DP is nice, I just prefer the Fatboy. If you are considering open water layout like the Lake Erie style, then hunting with a dog in the boat is tricky at the best, dangerous at the worst. That style hunting does not lend itself to dogs. You'd be better to rig out a boat blind and have a good dog ramp. Lots of folks I know who wont hunt without their dog don't bother with layout shooting for that very reason, but do quite well with boat blinds. Also much less work!

I built a lake erie style layout back east and the problem is that when it comes to hunting it's a bunch of work and folks always seem to be busy after then they've played the game once or twice. I will say though, that layout shooting bluebills is one of watefowlings greatest moments!

Oh, almost forgot, there is no one boat for duckin, I figure 3, 1 - an open water "big boat" 2 - a small marsh boat, sneakbox, 3 - mash boat like a pod or fatboy, with these 3 I could hit 90% of the situations and species I go for over water, now fields that's a different story again!

Ian

You might want to check out Devlins boat designs. He has quite a few duck boats and sneakboxes. That way you can compare them.

http://www.devlinboat.com/dcfp.htm
    "If you see a fork in the road, take it" Yogi Berra

Patrick,

The dealware ducker is a very unique boat, you use it to sneak on birds, but to do so you roll it on one side, I've seen a few pics of them in action, truly neat boats! The stephens book is a collection of articles for those that aren't familiar with it, a few old sneakbox designs even a Perrine if I remember corect.

Johnes,

I've built a devlin Mallard and am quite familiar with his designs, + and -'s, make sure you look at them with a critical eye. Some are excellent, some not so much...

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Ian F. View Post
    Patrick,

The dealware ducker is a very unique boat, you use it to sneak on birds, but to do so you roll it on one side, I've seen a few pics of them in action, truly neat boats! The stephens book is a collection of articles for those that aren't familiar with it, a few old sneakbox designs even a Perrine if I remember corect.

Johnes,

I've built a devlin Mallard and am quite familiar with his designs, + and -'s, make sure you look at them with a critical eye. Some are excellent, some not so much...

Ian
    I mentioned Devlin so Marc can compare different style duckboats, I've never actually built one of his boats, though. Was it you that had one for sale a few months back? It was a nice boat.
    "If you see a fork in the road, take it" Yogi Berra

Figure that John, just letting folks know someone has experience with his (devlin) stuff, sure wish I knew someone who built one of his designs and was willing to be honest when I built my Mallard.

Rod Lahaise who posts her occasionally built a broadbill back in NB, he's in Courtney now.

Take a look at the broadbill, but envision it 12feet long with full bulkheads and a bonded in place floor, as spec a touch small and the half bulkheads just aren't as strong. Of his sneakbox lineup that'd be the gem, but one first has to know that hunting sneakbox style is for them! that'd be ass on the floor, shooting over the motor tucked under a bonnet with the boat pulled into the grass. Not for everyone, but boy can you do some great set ups!

I sold mine last fall and if I had the space I'd be building something right now. Building boats ranks right up there with carving decoys for me. Something pretty cool about taking some flat wood and making a floating useful boat out of it!

Geez...

I don't duck hunt...yet

....but with all the great camo jobs I see on those boats I can see how if poachers come around shooting there is no way they'd see the legit hunters either.

You duck hunter guys are masters of camo to be sure!

Regards.

Wolfman
    "didn't want the cabin lookin' like it was built by a boyscout with a dull hatchet."

- Dick Proenneke

Here is a couple of close up pictures I've found of the fatboyDP

I can't see why this wouldn't work on divers.

BCWF

Marc,

It works fine, is it as deadly as a true lake erie layout, no? Does it matter, hell no! One of the beautiful things about BC is the birds see us first so they don't have the edumucation they have by the time they hit the wintering grounds.

I don't know of any DP's in BC or Northern washington, but you could drop Ira a line (owner of MoMarsh) and I'm sure he'd let you know if there is one handy to check out. I'm a huge proponet of try before you buy, nothing worse then putting out big cash and finding out that what you just bought isn't what you wanted.

One thing to keep in mind is that layouts (marsh or open water) are used in a very specific style of hunting and they work best when done the way they where intended. The DP tries to split the difference between a marsh and open water and I think of the offerings out there for that focus it's as good as there is.

Very best,

Ian

P.S. I'll answer your PM later from home

I did find this image.

BCWF