Thread: Bought a new bow!

Bought a new bow!

Finally got a replacement for my 10 year old Martin Lynx XRG (for sale, cheap!).
    It's a 2006 Martin Jaguar 60# with the single cam. I got a decent deal on it because it's target yellow and I guess most folks are after the camo bows.
    Anyone shooting one of these can give me a few set-up tricks for them.
    Cheers,
    Grant

2. Site Sponsor

Bow Walker Guest

Re: Bought a new bow!

Bit of a step back in time Grant? Say two years or so? Don't get me wrong though, Jaguar's are excellent bows. Easily tuneable and quite forgiving to shoot.

60 lbs is just about perfect. Max it out and you'll come in at around 62 lbs. If it get tough to pull all day long, then it's easy to drop 5 or 8 lbs.

Plenty of oomff and lottsa zip as well.

I had a 2003 Martin Jag Mag..... awesome little bow ... Relitivly fast, extremly easy to tune and change draw (I had the Fuzion cam) and very quiet .... I remember a top dog in the CDN 3D world even commenting on how quiet it was. I also posted my best 3D score with that bow untill 2005 when I beat it
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Sounds like a nice bow, I have 2 Martins and enjoy them both.
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

Sounds like I hit on a good one. It's a Magnum with the Dyna cam. IBO is supposed to be 305-310 which is fair irrelevent for my use.
    It seems funny but anything other than a camo bow with 70# draw attracts a much lower premium on the older model market. Also getting last years (or year befores) model is a nice way to get more for less.
    I was all set to get a Cheetah in a few months but I jusy couldn't resist the price on this one and it comes with all the moduals. At the very least it'll be nice to have them all around in a few years so I can dial it down to 45# and adjust the draw for my friends or their wives to try.
    Does anyone know how these cams feel? Hard wall etc...?
    I'll post an update once I get shooting it.

Bow Walker Guest

I've got (and still shoot occasionally) a '92 Martin Phantom, Fuzion Cam with Magnum limbs that was my first real hunting bow. It still has a lot of sentimental value to me - which is why I just can't seem to part with it.

For a single cam bow and pulling at 55 lbs, it has a smooth draw, a definite valley, and a very firm wall. I wasn't worried about speed as much as KE and that little sweetheart performed just fine!!

Quote Originally Posted by Grantmac View Post
    Anyone shooting one of these can give me a few set-up tricks for them.
    Can't help with any wheelie Bow tips......I don't shoot em

But Congrats on the new toy just the same ! Camo is getting abit Nauseating and overdone anyways IMO...Target Yellow Sounds Nice, Enjoy !

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Can't help with any wheelie Bow tips......I don't shoot em

But Congrats on the new toy just the same ! Camo is getting abit Nauseating and overdone anyways IMO...Target Yellow Sounds Nice, Enjoy !
    Don't worry, I've got a couple of staves of Osaga Orange sitting in the closet waiting for my new draw knife to arrive. I just like shooting "laser beam" bows as well as traditional stuff.
    Cheers,
    Grant

Thumbs up Re: Bought a new bow!

Quote Originally Posted by Grantmac View Post
    I've got a couple of staves of Osaga Orange sitting in the closet
    Very Nice ! Osage is Nice stuff !

Do post them up when you get time to begin !

I may try my Hand at a Board Bow........maybe try a few, before I butcher a Nice stave
    Last edited by Will; 02-01-2008 at 04:32 PM.

Yeah I've been wanting to go for a board bow or at least some sugar maple (make 'em flat with that stuff). The problem is that red-oak quarter sawn boards are nearly impossible to find. I've had these two staves for several years and I just need to get a move on with it. On is rather knotted so I'm going to start with that, keep the weight down and back it with linen.
    Cheers,
    Grant