Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: X-bow string hight

X-bow string hight

I just jumped into the x-bow world and have a question.
    My string rises up from the limbs about 3/16 inch to cross the rail.
    Is this normal ?
    It would seem a slight float above would solve ware & friction problems.
    If it matters it's a viper rattler.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: X-bow string hight

Apparently I've stumped everyone on this one.

A local crossbow fella said it's OK to have that much tension on the rail so I guess I'll wax & rail lube like crazy and see how it goes.

OK I got serving string on & waxed. Rail lube applied. Shot 60 bolts in a small gravel pit from 35 to 60 yds with different angles and heights and are confident to hit a pie plate from these distances with my target tip Easton XX75 2219

New question...

I have several Hunting fixed X4 razor blade bolts that have the same sized shaft but are 2" shorter and are marked 2216. Will they have a close enough trajectory to hunt?

Should I invest in a couple bales of straw to check it out or does someone here have experience with these bolts?

Can't help with the string height question but as far as those bolts go,

The 2216's will have a different weight and also a different spine so I would expect them fly quite differently to the 2219's especially being shorter and therefore lighter, being shorter may even out the spine difference though.

If you are going to hunt with them I think you should sight in for one bolt or the other so that you give your quarry the best chance of a quick & humane kill.

JMHO.

Cheers Noel

No, the chances of them having the same trajectory and point of impact are nearly zero. Even the identical arrow with identical head weights will almost always have a SIGNIFICANTLY different trajectory and point of impact when you switch from a field point to a broadhead. The blades of the broadhead alter the aerodynamic profile, causing altered flight characteristics (frequently including a loss of accuracy in addition to the change in point of impact).

You have to practice with what you hunt with, right down to the last detail.
    "...the truth will make you free." John 8:32

OK thanks for the info. I'll go out with 3 bales of hay and a target tomorrow and fine tune my fixed broadhead 2216 's.

Watch with bales and broad heads as you will shoot right through them,so find a good back stop.
    Happiness is a short blood trail

Watch with bales and broad heads as you will shoot right through them, so find a good back stop

Thanks plumbob. I have a small isolated pit with 20' high sand/pea gravel backstop and 3 bails that I'll set up two and the third behind the center target. I was hoping to not have to do a little blade sharpening after.

If you can get some shrink wrap from a feed store are something pack a bag as full as you can,and that will stop broad heads for awhile.
    Happiness is a short blood trail

Bow Walker Guest

Broadheads will blow through a bag stuffed tight with shrinkwrap or plastic bags, or the like.

You might try a coffee sack stuffed (tight) with old clothing and/or rags. That'll stop a broadhead. Of course you will need to re-sharpen the blades after shooting. They need to be razor sharp when you go hunting - ansd I mean razor sharp.