Thread: New camera

New camera

Well after years of borrowing other peoples cameras to take photos, me and my brother finally split the price on a good quality camera. We left friday morning to go to oregon to pick up 3 dozen decoys and to also go and hit up cabelas on the way home. When we went down last year to the Oregon Waterfowl festival, just by chance we ended up by a jail in Salem and found over 100 geese sitting beside the road where they get fed all day long. I said if we come back I gotta get some pictures as some were banded and there was one with a collar aswell.

Over 200 cacklers were either in the water or on the jail lawn. These guys look kindof big in the pictures but are actaully just barely bigger then a mallard, cute little buggers.

Then this one old gander decided he wanted food, and honestly followed us like 40 meters, he keep honking and I almost thought he was gonna attack us before he left.

There is such a resident wintering goose problem here its not even funny, just after leaving this spot we saw atleast another 200 geese in groups of 20 on the sides of roads, in a dennys parking lot, in the wendys drivethrough. It was crazy to see that many in the city limits, but hopefully seeing all those geese it was a sign of things to come for our last season here

And well, we hit two other Sportsman Warehouse on the way besides Cabelas but Cabelas was great, I think the best was the mountain with all the taxidermy done on pretty much all north american big game, all the african head mounts on the walls, but the best had to be the guns, rows upon rows upon rows of new or used guns, Saw a nice .470 nitro express for only 12,000 I would of liked to buy. A man could go crazy in a place like that, had a great elk sandwich and was there for only 2 1/2 hours when you could spend days wandering the store.
    Last edited by Crazy_Farmer; 01-26-2008 at 05:25 PM.
    1st Im in charge, and if not Matt is. Your job is to sign checks, tell us we're doing good and open your case of scotch after a good day. 2nd my fee. You can keep it, all I want in exchange for my service is the right to hunt all the drakes. A male. Buck only. Why and how are my business. If you don't like it, go alone. Set up right here or in a swamp or in the middle of a noshoot field for all I care. I've been on too many duck hunts with rich dentists to listen to any more suicidal ideas. Ok?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: New camera

OK I just read the post and didn't hear what kind or make of camera

Nice pictures by the way
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

Sorry bout that, I wasn't prepared to spend so much on a new SLR plus a better lens so we bought a Panasonic DMC-FZ18, it has 18x zoom which is great, I'm no camera man in anyway but I can rig the settings to go up to 115x where it gets a bit blurred far away, but around 70x and a bit closer its still sharpe enough for me. Here's another picture of the new decoys,

A dozen honkers, and 16 more lessers. Come on spring geese season.
    1st Im in charge, and if not Matt is. Your job is to sign checks, tell us we're doing good and open your case of scotch after a good day. 2nd my fee. You can keep it, all I want in exchange for my service is the right to hunt all the drakes. A male. Buck only. Why and how are my business. If you don't like it, go alone. Set up right here or in a swamp or in the middle of a noshoot field for all I care. I've been on too many duck hunts with rich dentists to listen to any more suicidal ideas. Ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Farmer View Post
    And well, we hit two other Sportsman Warehouse on the way besides Cabelas but Cabelas was great, I think the best was the mountain with all the taxidermy done on pretty much all north american big game, all the african head mounts on the walls, but the best had to be the guns, rows upon rows upon rows of new or used guns, Saw a nice .470 nitro express for only 12,000 I would of liked to buy. A man could go crazy in a place like that, had a great elk sandwich and was there for only 2 1/2 hours when you could spend days wandering the store.
    I was at that route a month ago (2 Sportsmen and Cabelas) and honestly I was disappointed at the service at Cabelas. The guys at the optics counter did not seem like they were interested in selling me anything, and just wanted to get it over with, when I asked to compare some products. I had to wait a long time till someone helped me. Granted, there were a lot of people during the weekend, but I guess I expected more from the biggest sporting store in the US.

As for Sportsmen's, the staff are always helpful and cheery and willing to help (especially the fishing section, they remembered my friend and me). I had misplaced the receipt for a rebate on my reel, and after emailing the manager he took a lot of work to find the records and has mailed it out to me, free of charge. Now that's service! Just my .02
    Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    You can do it buddy! you're a terrific person inside! (just not on the outside)

Nice detail on those dekes.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Farmer View Post
    Sorry bout that, I wasn't prepared to spend so much on a new SLR plus a better lens so we bought a Panasonic DMC-FZ18, it has 18x zoom which is great, I'm no camera man in anyway but I can rig the settings to go up to 115x where it gets a bit blurred far away, but around 70x and a bit closer its still sharpe enough for me. Here's another picture of the new decoys,

A dozen honkers, and 16 more lessers. Come on spring geese season.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

Rishu, I can agree with the service there, we never really had to ask anyone something, we were just looking but it was crazy there becuase this past week has been its grand opening.

Nice clear pictures. I've got the FZ-30 and it takes great pictures.

Here's a review of your FZ-18 if you haven't seen it already.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_...onic_fz18.html
    Last edited by johnes50; 01-27-2008 at 07:37 PM.
    "If you see a fork in the road, take it" Yogi Berra

The FZ 30 is a good camera. I actually looked at it before I bought my new one.
    I just bought my self a new digitial SLR. It's a Nikon D40 with the standard aspherical 18-55mm 3.5 fstop. I just got tired of the shutter lag on the point and shoots so I bit the bullet and spent the extra money on this one. I picked it up for just around 650.00 after taxes. This included a uv filter and a nice case. I'll be picking up an 18-135mm lens in the next couple of months for those far off shots.

It takes great photos right out of the box but it's going to take me a while to learn how to use it so that I can fully appreciate it. My sister is a professional photographer so I'm going to try and scoop some free lessons off of her.

Hopefully I'll be using it to take some great shots of both my B&C black bear and Blacktail buck in 08'...lol.