Thread: Back tension release

Question Back tension release

I have been thinking about trying a back tesion release but they seem awfully expensive. Do any of you use a back tension release and what are your thoughts on them. I want to use it for hunting and 3-D.

2. Site Sponsor

Bow Walker Guest

Re: Back tension release

BOWSITTER has one that he swears he's going to learn and use. He's been dinking around with it for far too long now...IMHO.

Persinally I not a fan of "surprise" releases.

I use a handheld thumb-barrell release ... I activate it using backtension or more precise Scapular motion

I use an older model of this for most everything

A Carter Target 3
    and sometimes I use a Carter Hunter without the release loop ..

the T3 I like for tree stand hunting because i can lock it onto my bow and its there when the moment of truth comes, The hunter model is an open jaw design and it stays in my pocket untill I need it ... its out of the way ...doesnt get dirty as I am crawling around etc.... I can grab it and hook it on my loop very quickly

That all said I have used the half moon releases (whitch I assume is what you ment by backtension) and really like em ... I personally dont like however for hunting ... I think they are ideal training aids ..... But I use the above releases for everything regularly
    Last edited by Bowzone_Mikey; 01-25-2008 at 07:54 PM.
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Bow Walker Guest

Mike - is it true that a shooter can "pick" the moment of release with a T3, rather than getting surprised by using back tension? In other words the T3 can be shot like a normal release?

BTW, what kind of $$$ are we looking at for that type of release? Specifically the T3?

what i started with and still use. is a pure back tension and cheap--it is a zenith .http://www.zenitharchery.com/ i paid around 50$ for this with a cast handle. You can get it with a practice cam . I have never punched myself with this . I would highly recommend learning on this release .

Thanks Guys , very interesting and thanks to the link sealevel , I'll look them up

Question Re: Back tension release

Oh by the way, the strings I see on the releases, are they for around your wrist or does it go through the D loop

Bow Walker Guest

The big loops are for around your wrist. The metal hook goes on the D loop.

you can use the hock and shoot with a dloop or shoot off the string useing that loop on the release.

Quote Originally Posted by Bow Walker View Post
    Mike - is it true that a shooter can "pick" the moment of release with a T3, rather than getting surprised by using back tension? In other words the T3 can be shot like a normal release?

BTW, what kind of $$$ are we looking at for that type of release? Specifically the T3?
    Yea ...with any thumb barrell you can ...Punch the release... that is why i use them specifically ... the odd time while hunting you hafta make the arrow fly in a hurry ....

price i will get back you ya later via PM
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask