Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Judging yardage...

Re: Judging yardage...

It'd have to be a 20 or 30 yard rope in my case. I need to practice judging distances from 15 out to 30 and beyond.
    A wise old 3d'er nce told me.......you only really need to be able to judge out to 25 yards accurately for 3D. Most people have the spacial acuity to be able to pick out the point half way between them and the target pretty well. Given the 50 yard max you will only need to judge that distance (25 yds or less) and then double it. Try it.... it will help you!

Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

we stump shoot alot in the off season and even during the regular season... another thing when walking the 3-d couses not during shoots... shoot the animal from where you first see it.. not at the peg... as long as it is safe of course....the more you shoot less desirable shots the better you get... practice through bush... and foliage.. nothing makes you miss judge more than bushes between you and the target... I cant remember the last yardage I shot an animal at becasue after tons of practice you just instinctively know what pin to pick... or where to hold...the more you shoot the better you get.....
    moose are for people too lazy to hunt elk

Bow Walker Guest

Stump shooting is (or can be ) pretty hard on the arrows. Although it's great practice.

How come I can't remember to cut the distance in half and judge that, when I'm standing at the stake??? Duh.

Quote Originally Posted by Bow Walker View Post
    Stump shooting is (or can be ) pretty hard on the arrows. Although it's great practice.

How come I can't remember to cut the distance in half and judge that, when I'm standing at the stake??? Duh.
    That's because BowWalker you are....Human!!
    Smith & Wesson Beats Four Aces!

advanced cranial degeneration caused by extreme old age!!!.....oooops....did I say that out loud???

Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Bow Walker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by willyqbc View Post
    advanced cranial degeneration caused by extreme old age!!!.....oooops....did I say that out loud???

Chris
    ....brought on by a severe case of "snow-coloured-hair"

More good stuff, thanx
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by Bow Walker View Post
    It'd have to be a 20 or 30 yard rope in my case. I need to practice judging distances from 15 out to 30 and beyond.
    I hear that.
    That third '10 yd' segment between 20 and 30 sure looks different.
    I know, I know..........practice, practice, practice

Bow Walker Guest

I'm blaming my old eyes, it can't be the 'elderly' brain can it?

Once past 20 yards/meters the foreshortening on the next segment makes judging the actual distance a real feat....and if the target is 'out there' I'm sunk.

It's "by guess and by golly' after that.

Had a talk with an American hunter once who used to play NFL. He said he judged range by how many football fields away the target appeared. 2 football fields, three, four fields .........
    I asked him how many times he sat 300 yards away from a field to judge what it looked like from that point. He gave a puzzled look, and then I asked him how many helmets he had broke from impact.