Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Judging yardage...

Bow Walker Guest

Judging yardage...

Picked this article off the Hoyt website. It gives something easy to do and to practice.

Yardage Judging Made Easy: Tony Tazza

To improve your yardage judging ability you need to practice and exercise your ability to judge yardage. If you were poor at bowling and wanted to improve, what would you do? Hopefully you would spend a lot of time at the lanes and maybe think about some coaching. There are some 3D archers that practice and work extremely hard to hone their ability to accurately judge the distance to McKenzie 3D targets. Those are usually the guys on the podium at the IBO and ASA tournaments. I壇 like to share a couple of yardage judging exercises that work for me.

Calibration
    Your eye and brain need to be "calibrated" to effectively learn to judge and recognize distance. At the beginning of the 3D season, my yardage judging is typically rusty from the winter off-season. To get started preparing for 3D tournaments, I begin by calibrating my eye and brain to yardage judging. I値l go out into my local woods and set orange cones out in 10-yard increments on several shooting lanes and on my practice target lane. As I知 practicing I study the location of the cones and try to burn the markers into my subconscious mind. I do this with and without a McKenzie target at the end of each lane. I study the target at 20 yards, then study the 20 yard marker and the target at 30 yards, then study the 30 and 20 yard markers and the target from 40 yards and so forth out to 50 yards. Spending time at each location will eventually enable you to "see" the markers in your memory when they aren稚 even there. I like to do this exercise in a variety of atmospheres such as open woods, open fields, tight tunnels and thick brush. You値l be surprised at how different the markers look in the different environments. I recommend this exercise at the beginning of the season and anytime you feel lost with your judging.

Woods Walking
    When I知 unable to practice with McKenzie targets I値l take my rangefinder for a walk. Walk in different types of woods and in different lighting conditions. You値l be shocked to see how much lighting conditions effect your judging (I usually over-judge in low light and under-judge in bright conditions.). As you池e walking around, judge the distance to a specific tree, bush or rock then shoot it with your rangefinder. When you miss the yardage, shoot some items between you and the target and see where you missed. This will help hone your depth perception and help you perfect your ground judging. To mix things up and keep you from getting bored, try to stop 20 yards from a given object then check yourself. Do the same for 25, 30, 35, 40, 45 and 50 yards. I like to keep a notebook while I am doing this to see if there is a pattern to my mis-judges under certain conditions.

I know that I'll be trying this idea when I can get into the bush.
    Last edited by Bow Walker; 07-09-2011 at 10:21 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Judging yardage...

Great advice, I do the bush walking one all the time, it helps with judgement and keeps away some of the boredom. I make it a game all the time and it is really effective in improving your judgement.
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

I use 10 Yard Incriments, It seems easyer than 20 Yard ones.
    My worst day of Hunting is better than my best day at Work.

Bow Walker Guest

I find that once I get out past 20 yards or so the fore-shortening of the yards interferes with my estimating. That is - I can't wrap my head around the fact that 10 yards looks like 4 or 5 yards because of the angle of view. May be dumb, but it's a stumbling block for me.

It'll take some concentrated practice to be able to get over it, but I think that this will help. All I need to do is find the time to devote to practice.

BZ micky said one time many moons ago to tie a ten yard rope with a piece ribbon on the end to a your backside . so when you are walking around you can turn around and see ten yards in all terrain .

Bow Walker Guest

It'd have to be a 20 or 30 yard rope in my case. I need to practice judging distances from 15 out to 30 and beyond.

start at 10 then go to 20 and so on

Most indoor ranges are 20 yds , Most first outdoors practice butts are 20 yds . I suggest one make that their first estimate segment because of it`s imprint on your brain . Go from there in 5 or 10 yd additions .
    After quite a few compound and now tradition years I get lazy and just go Close , Medium and Far . Few of us are capabile of distinct grouping at the distances in between and this really simplfies range estimating for traditional archers whom have a choice of supplementing a instintive aiming style.
    Hope this makes sence
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

My grandson started 3d shooting at three . But i could never get him to shoot from a stake. He would say but papa why shoot from way back here when i can walk rite up close. Kinda like graybark

Hey Sealevel , Great chuckle . LOL LOL
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC