Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Quad comparison

Re: Quad comparison

I've got the new Yamaha 700 FI, couldn't be happier with it. I'm totally amazed at where this machine will take me. The power steering really makes riding easier. I'm not sure what the weight difference is between the big bores and the smaller ccs, but I would toally recommend the Yamaha. Whatever you pick, make sure to get a 4wd low gear and diff locks, it makes all the difference in the world. I have a winch as well but have never needed it. Definitely go for the thumb warmers, (sure would have liked them last season).
    "Every moving animal that is alive may serve as food for you." (Genesis 9:3)

The reason I was thinking light quad is that we go in the boats a lot and I'm not too keen on picking up a 700 cc machine
    Most people who are telling you to go with a 300-450 class quad because of weight don't know what they are talking about. A 700 yammy weighs 600 lbs and a 450 weighs in at 593. The 700 is maybe 1-2 inches longer and maybe an inch wider. My dad has a '02 300 suzuki king quad and his bike weighs 10 pounds less than my 700 Grizzly. If I could by a Grizzly that was a 1000 I would buy it, you can never have enough power in my mind. I have gotten out of lots of muddy situations where tire speed was the only answer, the 500's all had to winch out. I'm not knocking the smaller bikes not everybody likes to ride the way I do, but just don't buy a smaller bike for the wrong reasons.
    Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear.

Recent Nanaimo transplant to Williams Lake

Schmaus is right about the weights, the only way you are going to lighten up your machine weight is to possibly get a older Wolverine (yamaha) 4x4, they were lighter or go to 2x4, but the rest are all within 100 lbs, except some polarises can be heavier. Although you should stay as far away as possible from Polaris if you want a trouble free machine. I was a honda fan for many years, but they fell so far behind it isn't even funny. I have beenn a dedicated Yamaha guy since 98 and I have had 14 atv's, trust me on this.

Quote Originally Posted by 115 or bust View Post
    The reason I was thinking light quad is that we go in the boats a lot and I'm not too keen on picking up a 700 cc machine lol. Thanks for the input though guys.
    Like others have said the 450 is dam near the same weight as the 700 in the yamaha.and you just dont pick them up and throw them in boats .i own a 450 kodiak and its a good machine no complaints ...except when it rolled over top of me on a steep hillside and got me with all 600 lbs
    Midnight toker

Thumbs up Re: Quad comparison

The reason I was thinking light quad is that we go in the boats a lot and I'm not too keen on picking up a 700 cc machine lol. Thanks for the input though guys.
    The Boys are feeding you the straight goods.......
    My 400 Kodiak is rated at 578 lbs dry vs the 700's 600 lb dry rating........not a Big weight diff considering the difference in Bikes

For myself though I'm not an aggressive offroader any more...I now appreciate my Mortality
    For putting about FSR's and the odd trail for animal recovery the 400 was a pretty decent machine for what I paid......
    2008 $6995 with 2500lb winch and a 52" snowplow

If I could by a Grizzly that was a 1000 I would buy it, you can never have enough power in my mind. I have gotten out of lots of muddy situations where tire speed was the only answer, the 500's all had to winch out. I'm not knocking the smaller bikes not everybody likes to ride the way I do, but just don't buy a smaller bike for the wrong reasons.
    I ride a polaris 800 EFI. Weighs in at close to 750lbs dry weight. Pin it and hold on for dear life. It will go anywhere so long as you can hold on.

Carl

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteys View Post
    I ride a polaris 800 EFI. Weighs in at close to 750lbs dry weight. Pin it and hold on for dear life. It will go anywhere so long as you can hold on.

Carl
    07 700cc !!! I can honestly say I have never seen top speed, speedo goes to 70Mph and I think it would go faster.....

I rode all the big names prior to purchasing my machine, by far the nicest riding, Polaris....

Why not get yourself a Honda CT110 or 90 for boats?

Here's a funny thing... As far as weight of quads, I couldn't lift mine if I had an army of sherpa's along, and yes you will need a 3000LBS winch also..

Buddy on here, ODDBuck bought a chinese quad off ebay at the begining of the season and you can throw that thing around as it's lite weight, but a VERY strong frame. He bought it for 1200.00 landed to his door and its gone everywhere my machine went with the occasional push and he did it for a lot less, about 8000.00 dollars less.. For 8K you can buy a few more quads for parts if need be..