Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Regulation Proposals Kootenay

Re: Regulation Proposals Kootenay

I would think that alot of people would show up for a 3pt season. Everyone wants to eat Elk. I would go and I would find the nicest legal bull and that would be that. Now if 4500 hunters crashed into the Koots for ten days, would it be safe to say lots of Bulls would be killed. Im thinking it would be the hottest thing since sliced bread. I would be wearing blaze orange forsure. How many of you would go?

. Who have every weekend to go and try and get that 6pt, they don't want any more "outsiders". Where does that leave the rest of the province's hunters that usually only have a week and want to come try their luck in the Kootneys. Once again, hunter selfishness slowly killing us off. Enough of these rediculous pt. restrictions, open it up, spread the hunter demand around the whole province instead of just 1 or 2 areas (ie 7B).

So how is this elk season/location different than if I wish to go to the P.G. area and try to find a calf or 2 pt moose..?????

Or me going to the Fraser River for a fishing trip versus a guy that lives in Chilliwack

Just playing devils advocate here????
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

No, it is not and I did not say that other CANADIANS should be barred from hunting here, actually, I would INCREASE their opportunities at the expense of American "trophy" collectors and other foreigners.

As to the GO "industry", do you mean all the foreign-owned outfits that do anything they can to restrict OUR opportunities, access and harvest levels? I could care less about whether that Yank who owns "Canadian Mountain Outfitters" and brings in big name US gunwriters to "hunt" OUR relatively rare game is happy or not, the SOB broke our laws and I would deport his azz back to "Orygun" post-haste, if I could.

The reciprocation works in THEIR favour as they kill more Stone's Sheep than we do, etc.; in any event, it IS going to happen because people here want it to and those who do not are in the minority. The Kootenays now are so expensive to buy a home in due to rich Yanks that many cannot retire there and all of this needs to end, right now.

[quote=Elkaholic;230979]So the turkey season has gone through as it is stated in the changes PDF? If so that is a terrible mistake as they will be slaughtered. Why do we need to shoot the hens? Also if it is because of landowner complaints, maybe the government should allow the local chapter of the NWTF to do re-location of the problems bird to disperse the population. I know for a fact that there is one person in Victoria that thinks turkeys should not be in BC and wants all of them gone. The turkey season has started to bring in a lot of revenue to local areas and now this will totally destroy the birds.

I didn't mean it had gone through Elkaholic, the KWHAC passed it but the WLB has still not made a final decision, nor have the WLB final proposals been sent to Victoria yet. The proposal was pretty well supported by the web site input and KWHAC and I believe it will be approved by the WLB. The BCWF EK Region is very supportive of the NWTF translocation proposals and also campaigned heavily for the creation of a tag for turkey's as NWTF also proposed, and that campaign is still ongoing, but as you say Victoria is not suppoprtive.

The Branch biologists feel the turkey proposal for the EK is sustainable when populations are at a high cycle. Turkey populations can decline dramatically during bad winters, but bounce back quickly, so enters the old adage that you can't stockpile wildlife. The hen regulation is feasible only during high population cycles, these regulations can be changed as often as needed in response to population conditions.
    Last edited by 6616; 01-17-2008 at 10:39 AM.

You mean actual close monitored, hands-on wildlife management, gawd, if only!

Does anyone know if a three point elk season has been looked at for the okanagan?

Quote Originally Posted by BCrams View Post
    Who says they have to shoot a 3 point? It is just a minimum - you can still hold out for a 6 pt bull!
    That's what i am saying ,the aliens will hold out for the big head gear on elk ,not the little donkers.
    Last edited by hunter1947; 01-17-2008 at 12:01 PM.

I ain't even gunna get involved in this one. Everybody is entitled to an opinion, some should just keep them to themselves.

Kutenay, our family have hunted in the E and W Kootenay fo over 60 years. It is a great land, rich in game and full of great people. What you are saying is bang on,BC residents should have user preferance when it comes to allocation. GO do contribute to local economies. However their bullying tactics are getting pretty old. I know i speak for many Vancouver Islanders who consider it a privilage to hunt the Kootenay region.

Yes, I have skirted this issue but echo the more reasonable posts.
    Blacktailaholic

If, the comment about keeping one's opinions to oneself was in reference to me, my reply is probably best not posted. I have had enough of the attitude that we whose ancestors built, fought and died for Canada/BC should somehow take second place to immigrants, foreigners and those who sell off our natural heritage for their own cheap profit.

As posted earlier, BC residents contribute FAR more in revenue to the BC government coffers than do foreigners and/or GOs, HOWEVER, this hunting/fishing is OUR birthright and I, for one, will continue to stand up for OUR rights.

...Reasonable...does NOT, IMO. constitute giving up what is OURS and THAT has been happening since WWII, in the Kootenays. The Columbia River Treaty for example, DEVASTATED the Kootenays and greatly benefited the USA, I KNOW, I was there. We need to either protect what is ours by birth AND this INCLUDES hunters from Victoria, like it or not, or sit back and watch our hunting/fishing go south, in more ways than one.

Anyway, I have made my point and will continue to lobby where and when I think it productive, to save OUR hunting/angling heritage.