Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Regulation Proposals Kootenay

Regulation Proposals Kootenay

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Regulation Proposals Kootenay

opening a 3 point or better GOS for elk would be a crying shame.

No worries there - the letters have come in, and the 3 point elk season got shot down (or so I read on another thread).

But really, what's a crying shame, is that we have so many elk that they're issuing cow/calf tags by the hundreds, running an open jr/sr season on cow/calf elk, but the vast majority of hunters, who surveys show really just want to fill the freezer with the first vaguely legal critter, are still stuck hunting for six point elk (many/most of us to no avail and great frustration).
    "...the truth will make you free." John 8:32

The voice of a few trophy hunters kept the 6 pt season in.

There is no reason not to be able to have a 3 point bull elk season for those who would just love the opportunity at taking a bull without having to put the time and effort which is commonly required to be successful for 6 point bulls.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go."

-- John Muir

They could alway's open it up for 3 point and better in a time lot,say for half of the general open season.I hear there are alot of huge 5x5's running around now lol
    I can tell ya, but you know I' ll be lying to you!!!!

That was the proposal that just got shot down. And yes, there are some monster 5x5's running around in the EK.
    "...the truth will make you free." John 8:32

The outfitters dont want their future money bulls shot.....they have no vested intrest in allowing residents to shoot an animal that they can sell in 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by gitnadoix View Post
    The outfitters dont want their future money bulls shot.....they have no vested intrest in allowing residents to shoot an animal that they can sell in 4 years.
    The rejection of the proposal has nothing to do with outfitters - rejection of the proposals were driven strictly by residents.

There will be more work done surveying and tracking the elk population in the EK this winter and it's my guess that more liberal seasons will happen regardless of who's on board. Whether it's strictly homesteader pops or both there will be way more leh auth's or a move to more liberal bull seasons.

Next year I'm betting you'll see far more cow/calf permits in the WK too.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

So no changes to the turkey bag limit then!

I strongly support a GOS and a 3-point season for the West Kootenays, there are enough Elk to maintain population levels and this is one way of ensuring a harvest opportunity for more hunters which will assist with hunter recruitment.

I can remember when the hunting there was for fun and meat, not for some "mystique" about antler size induced by reading American hunting mags. full of photos of crop-fed, farm-raised, guide-found "trophies" that some dude paid multi-mega bux. to "harvest". In short, it was local people using a local resource, as it should be, IMO.

I have hunted elsewhere, province-wide, but really prefer to "go home"to hunt and Elk are my favourite quarry, so, obviously, this would be a great thing for me. I also support more Turkey hunting and am goinf this year as I have missed three spring seasons due to domestic concerns, I intend to scout them hard before the season opens and shoot the "herd bull" gobbler.