Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Regulation Proposals Kootenay

Re: Regulation Proposals Kootenay

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    Late season, archery only deer hunts is a good example of how we can continue to provide hunting opportunity for anyone who chooses to do it, without the concern for over harvest due to the use of more efficient weapons.

Most hunters should favour a limited weapons season before LEH.
    Should and do are two totally different things. Most hunters won't - look at what it's done throughout North America. The people who are really into hunting have a rifle, muzzleloader, shotgun and a bow for the various seasons - they'll support it. They're the same people who are looking to grow big bucks/bulls and rams at the expense of other hunting opportunities. The rest of the folks (majority) simply quit.

This is an end game strategy which has been documented. It's a road other jurisdictions have travelled down and are now seeing recruitment fall off.

Even on this board I think you'll find little support for bow only MUs.

Recruitment: can you take your rifle to school and do a show and tell? Can you set up a target in the school yard and let a few kids throw a few projectiles at the target? With archery there are any number of soft approaches to getting kids hooked.

I'm always confused. I'm not saying, nor have I ever said, rifle hunting is bad and we shouldn't have it. But I always feel this defensive push back attitude from you and others. Listen, if we're trying to sell something we should be looking at all possibilities.

The province is a big place and in some areas, there is no need to employ unique opportunities, in many areas, one style of hunting won't negatively impact another, but there are areas where that does occur. We shouldn't be managing for the lowest common denominator in every case.

More seasons doesn't mean wide open GOS from New Years to Christmas, it means finding balance.

I do agree with your last statement. I would take it further. We need to also target people who don't know they might be interested. There is a huge population out there that think guns are bad, or hunting is bad. The school scenario above, provides a non hunting parent an opportunity for a first glimpse into something that leads to hunting. Perhaps without knowing it, they condone their child to participate, overtime, this and 3D shoots will provide a better glimpse into hunting. Can we predict how many might become hunters. No. Who cares. we work on the fact it might happen. We operate on the fact it is a quality experience for kids.

This is a region 4 thread. Bowhunters supported a 3 pt GOS elk in East Kootenay, Bowhunters supported moving the West Kootenay elk off of LEH and creating youth/sr and GOS hunts.

So who defeated these proposals at the table?
    Too bad you feel that way.

Hunting is not 'bad' to a huge part of the population. It's actually quite the opposite. There are several studies which have found most people support or are indifferent to hunting and many would like to try it if only they had access to it. That's been studied and documented. Most of it's education and access.

Soft approaches have not been studied/documented, nor is there anybody out actively pursuing them (the most important part). You've gotta measure it to understand and manage it. There's much opportunity for understanding here that hasn't been pursued and isn't being pursued. It's unfortunate.

I've always believed in more inclusive hunting opportunities as opposed to exclusive when it comes to hunting - I suppose hunting styles don't collide when you don't let people hunt or segregate the population. That relates to the region 4 proposal and what you're suggesting - hunter's trying to keep other hunters out. I suppose everybody's got their thing.

I do appreciate the insight: it helps me understand.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by calvin L View Post
    I am bow hunter first and formost ! I love it. Do I need a bow only season No. do I use it Yes . I know for a fact that when I tell Mike that he can't shoot that deer because it doesn't have 4 point on one side it will pull the rug out from under him . Yes I know there are other time's it os open . But do we want them to only hunt 2-3 week out of the season (deer) or all season long ?The new hunters need time in the bush lots of it and a chance to take a animal .

That's about how I felt when I had time to bowhunt. Now bow season lines up with junior season and taking kids out is more important and december's a write-off with work.

Probably start chucking arrows this spring as things should hopefully be slowing down + I've got a big outdoor range now.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Boy Calvin, that is a great idea. CORE in school could involve so many aspects, perhaps call the course Outdoor Education. Provide kids with lots of outdoor skills. Fishing, boating, animals, conservation, survival, etc.

I'd like to see a communications skills course offered too. It would contribute to making us all better listeners.

They used to have the CORE program in Junior high. It was an outdoor education class in grade 8 where they offered the CORE course. The school districts pulled the program and consequently, a drop in participants occured. I took it and I am sure many of us on here recall taking the CORE program in junior high.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go."

-- John Muir

Recently my nephew was able to take his CORE program in school in the Burton/Nakusp area. Don't quote me on this but I believe it was taken during regular school hours.

The smaller towns are still in touch with reality.

SSS

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    Recently my nephew was able to take his CORE program in school in the Burton/Nakusp area. Don't quote me on this but I believe it was taken during regular school hours.

The smaller towns are still in touch with reality.

SSS
    From the Zeman report 2006 (but in my own words): The annual number of CORE graduates increased steadily since the programs inception in 1976 to 1983. The CORE program was available in schools in BC during this time. In 1984 the program was privatized and removed from schools. The number of CORE graduates dropped 84% in that single year. Under private administration, the cost of the program to students escalated significantly.

In recent years the program was again taken over by government and the BCWF is the current delivery agent. Graduate numbers have increased since that time but have never recovered to pre-1983 levels.

If we could get CORE back into the schools it would be a major factor in stimulating hunter recruitment.

Quote Originally Posted by GoatGuy View Post
    Hunting is not 'bad' to a huge part of the population. It's actually quite the opposite. There are several studies which have found most people support or are indifferent to hunting and many would like to try it if only they had access to it. That's been studied and documented. Most of it's education and access.

I'd agree 100%

There is a tremndous amount of peopel that are interested in shooting and some interested in hunting around here, but many dont' knwo where to start, or get put off by PAL/CORE courses.

I try to help get people started, but I've only got so much time. Our club has been running a very popular "Beginners Trap" night the last 3 years, once a week, and the fellow that does most of it reports huge increases. Particulalry in the WOMEN and CHILDREN demographic.

Peopel are out there that want to shoot, want to hunt, it's making it easier for them to do it is the issue.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!