Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Perfect shot?

Re: Perfect shot?

Quote Originally Posted by Barracuda View Post

or a Canadian headhunter , or even any kind of head hunter for that matter.
    I have seen just as many trophy hunters in canada as anywhere else so that is kindo of an asinine statement not to mention rather insulting to our American friends on here.

ask yourself how much meat you actually lose in % and then ask yourself if the animal was that % smaller would you still shoot it?

for me i will take incapacitation every time regardless of animal .
    Just an observation from all the hunting shows or videos you see. They all take that same shot regardless where there are from. When you put a shell through the middle of a shoulder on say a mature bull moose whose fronts run 170lbs each and you knock out 20% due to blood shot it translates to 76lbs of normally very edible tasty meat. Too much waste for me. If the bull runs twenty or thirty yards and you salvage the 76lbs or knock it down on the spot, is it still worth saying it dropped on the spot. Besides out of all the moose I've shot behind the shoulder, I'd have to say that only one or two went more than ten yards. More times than not, they only take a couple strides and stand there for one in the neck or drop shortly after. They are not known for running off. A goat on the edge of a ridge is a different story though, because you want it down as quick as possible, then I would take the square on shoulder shot.

Pull your head out of your Ass
    long enough to see how stupid you look!!!!!

Off a bit on his Y axis and a little off on his X axis, but like others say, hes dead!
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

Bullet choice is my biggest concern when it comes to meat loss,the last whitetail I shot through the shoulders and I could eat up to the hole(least amount of blood shot yet ) it was also the same with our moose this year. Befour I switched from accubond to tsx I had tonnes of blood shot no matter where I hit.
    I am a member of..
    People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

i once shot the balls off a squirrel at 600 yards, found him with a rope around his neck hanging from a tree... guess he lost his will to live. no meat lost there.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
    Ask yourself this....... Would you take the same shot placement on an elk or moose? Myself I perfer to take it just above and behind the elbow. Little to no waste, and the animal will go down instantly or shortly there after. Way too much to waste on the larger animals with the shot shown. If you're an "American Headhunter" the shot taken is perfect. Just my two cents worth!!
    Sure, I'd take the same shot....As I said before, 1/3 from the bottom of the chest, on the shoulder, drops them fast...The amount of meat loss is small compared to the amount of meat harvested...

Many hunters leave much of the edible carcass behind,anyway. Organs, tongue, meat between ribs, moose nose etc...Unless you consistently pack all that out, your argument is a little one sided.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

If you are after a trophy animal you drop it were it stands and taking out the shoulders would be a good shot ,but like someone else said hear that if it is a moose or other big game animal if shot in the shoulder would damage to much meat ,that in my books then would be a misplaced shot.

2slow is offline Seeing any?-yup,last week

Perfect shot depends on what kind of terrain the animal is in. I had a muley this year that was in some really steep terrain that i didn't want to go anywhere ie. walk of the cliff behind him so I shouldered him. If he was in the wide open I would have gone for the lung shot because I would not have cared if he wandered a little afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Deerwhacker View Post
    I could eat up to the hole
    So I guess a "Texas Heart Shot" wouldn't be out of the question then....................................

Pull your head out of your Ass
    long enough to see how stupid you look!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Barracuda View Post
    If you are that worried about meat loss switch to a 30-30 or other similer sensibly moving round , stop useing ultra fast whizzbangers and and if you do make sure that the animal is 200m away so the bullet doesnt blow up.
    I think more meat is lost because people feel the need to go for these latest and greatest long range rounds when most of the hunting conditions are a sub 100M and the bullets very often cant take it.

meat loss in reality is inconsiquential as long as you can retrieve the animal .

I am more then willing to accept meat loss rather then animal loss

Amen Brotha
    "I would rather be judged by twelve than carried by six"

If he was on the move and you were shooting free hand or open sights....Great shot.

If he was standing on the road.......you missed his head by 1.5 feet.

Although as others have said half a deer is better than no deer.
    Do your own butchering and you will soon be able to judge for yourself (IH8REDJELLY)