Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The wife likes her meat.

The wife likes her meat.

Finally figured out ( I hope) how to post pics on here. Been a follower of HBC for years but just never really had time to site down and figure it out, so now that I have, watch out as I may bombard you all for a while with pics/stories.

To start off, my wife finally had some time this year to go hunting with me once we found a baby sitter. She drew a bison tag in zone 7A so after a little planning we went to our secret spot (seems like everyone elses secrete also) and took our buddy Foss along for muscle to see if we could get a bison. We only really had one day to do this, so on New Years day we left our home north of Fort St John in the morning and got to the parking lot at about 8:30am, got the gear ready and two sleds with skimmers and headed out. We slowly trudged along for about 1 hour and came across a set of about 12 bison tracks that were very fresh. We disrobed started kissing and making out...oh sorry thats another story...We got out hunting clothes on and followed the tracks about 100 yards towards the river and found fresh poop. Of course I was the one that had to touch it and of course it was warm and gooey. We all got really excited at this time and followed the tracks about 100 more yards and there was the herd about 75 yards in front of us. She could not get a shot off at first as the only ones we saw were two bison standing side by side of each other and the other one that was visible was blocked by a big spruce tree. They saw us and took off so we followed in hot pursuit for about 50 yards and then spotted another group of about 10 animals that were slowly grazing and moved off slightly into thicker bush. They never realized we were there so we tried to get into position to take a shot but they soon realized that they were being followed. I rounded a big Christmas tree and there they were not 40 yards infront of us. I montioned to my wife to to hurry the F*** up and get ready but Tara is slightly vertically challenged and the deep snow was a bit easier for my long gangley moose like legs to get though. By the time she got into position the herd started to take off so I told her to take the last one.

Earlier in the day she asked where should I shoot the Bison and I told here right at the front leg low in the body. Well by god that is exactly where she hit the running bison. It ran about another 30 yards and fell over and that was that. 1 1/2 hours of hunting and Tara had here first Bison.

Since it was still early in the day we got out the chainsaw and hacked a trail right to the yearling cow and made a huge fire and had a wiener roast. We were amazingly lucky and I had visions of -35oC, blowing wind, frost bite, trucks that would not start when you got back to them, etc but you could not ask for a more perfect day. There was not a cloud in the sky, -4oC, and we could get right to the Bison and suck in the scenery, and moment with my beautiful wife.

We decided to head out and got back home at around 6:00pm to skin the beast. It weighed 306 pounds at the butcher so it should be perfect eating.

I also figured that I would attached some other pics of Tara's accomplishments over the past years hunts.
    Foss, Me, "The Wife".

Tara's Bison

Tara's 2006 whitetail

Tara's 2006 Moose with kids.

Same moose different view.
    Hunting......Duh.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: The wife likes her meat.

your wife got a great rack, big heavy and wide Congradulations to the hunting machine.
    Some people call them hunting hounds, I call them cross country sight seeing guides

Sweet, another member added who contributes to the site. Good to have you here. Great bison, and good story!
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

I better not show my wife she will be jealous. Congrads to you and your wife

Definitely some nice critters there. Some cool character on that moose rack.
    Yup, that coiler is a personal best...

Good stuff! great critters there!
    He who goes to bed with itchy bum, wakes up with smelly finger.

Awesome for Tara getting that bull moose, that's a lotta bull. Big white and a buthalow.
    This is good squeege lady hunters are taking over in BC lol good to see
    Jelly (tanks4thethread) We need to see more women hunters hunting photo's

Good job for Tara, and you got young ones to feed too!!!

wow great hunting partner you have there
    a bad day hunting is awwwwwwww who cares as long as your hunting.

Thumbs up Re: The wife likes her meat.

Very nice wright up you put up on this site ,your wife got some very nice animals over a short span ..
    You as her husband better thank your blessings on having a wife that does it all ,she is a keeper in my books for sure ,Tara congrats to you on getting these nice game animals wel done ..
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..