Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just got offered my dream hunt

Re: Just got offered my dream hunt

Depending on your build and your saddle fit, it can be really painful on long rides on the old keester....

Having less than usual padding on my bones, I have a gel seat (like on a bicycle) that fits on my saddle. Makes all the difference in the world, don't get a sore butt and its also fairly warm in the colder temps.

You can get them from Greenhawk (Ontario) for around $50 (if I remember correctly)
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Sounds like fun! Ride horses lots prior to your trip and you'll be in fine condition to hunt.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go."

-- John Muir

My body might be in Red Deer but my heart and soul are still on the Island

Thanks guys,

I was just talking to Don about getting some time in the saddle. We work 15/6 shift so I will probably head down to his farm for a few sets of days off.

His horses have been in this country lots and he says he could basicly tie me to the horse and it would take me to camp.

I was a little worried about being stiff but he says that it is not that long of a ride into camp and then only a couple hours a day from camp if that.

Any good reads out there for hunting and judging sheep. I never really thought that I would get a chance to hunt them(read fat *******) so havent done much research.

Keep the ideas coming boys

Thanks Hilgy
    "you can have your rifle on the dashboard and ammo clenched between your teeth and that's legal."-Gatehouse

dont shoot when on the horse
    and some riding practise would be very beneficial to get your leg, thigh and groin muscles prepped.
    "Using your legs to go up a road is called walking, not hiking and if you have a gun over your shoulder or a bow in hand it's called road hunting."
    -Goat Guy. Dec 3/09.

Ensure that your stirrups are adjusted properly to fit your leg length...If they are too short you will get knee pain so bad that you can't walk..

When you stand up in the stirrups, you should only have about an inch of clearnce from the saddle to your family jewels....(No pictures attached)
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Definantly take the time to ride, ride, ride....well you get the point. Knowing how too ride helps both you and your horse. It may only be a couple of hours every day, but it takes a toll on your body and when you spot that cranker ram on the top of a mountain where the horses can't take you.....yer gunna have to walk there.

Its a good thing you get to practice on the horses you will be using, have had hunters come in saying how they have been riding for months, which is awesome except our horses are big plain and simple. Have seen many guys in pain who have riden or have their own horses, every horse is different.

No not to spoil your fun, but I have to share what an old timer said to me a few years ago while riding horses. He told me about his father in-law raising racing horse, then he proceeded to tell me " son every horse was put on this earth for one reason and one reason only.....to one day kill a man " ..........lol I near fell outta my saddle.

I have almost no experience with horses other than a couple "trial" rides in the Rockies when I was young and in shape. Even after a one hour ride I was sore for a week! If I were you mate I'd get out there and ride as often as possible.

Oh BTW I know you dig this but YOU are one lucky SOB!!! I'm so jealous!
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

That is going to be an awesome trip no matter what Higly, even if you can't walk when you are done it will be one of the greats. There are alot of good threads on here about sheep hunting if you search them out, not a tonne on bighorns I am afraid but the gear will be much the same as will hunting styles. A good resource for gear lists would be some of the outfitters websites, they usually have a really good idea of what you will need(ex. http://www.bignine.com/CI_suggestedgear.htm). Try and pic the guys that do horseback sheep hunts as the gear will be more specialized.
    As far as books and info try Jack O'connor's books, he did alot of horseback sheep hunts. ONe suggestion that I would make is to be pcky about your pack, you need something that you can comfortably ride in but can also expand to fit half a sheep if you have to pack it out of the cliffs.
    Hope this helps.

My body might be in Red Deer but my heart and soul are still on the Island

Hey thanks guys,

Model88, ya the hike up to where the horses cant go is why I just put together the new tredmill and am finally getting serious about getting in shape.

Bruin, my first thought was that I dont care if I need to take an extra two weeks off to recover I'm making this happen.

The area we will be going boarders the park and holds some huge rams as well as elk. The deer are just average but I have seen what my buddy calls average I call TOADS.

I probably should have waited a few months to start this thread I'm losing sleep already.

Hilgy
    "you can have your rifle on the dashboard and ammo clenched between your teeth and that's legal."-Gatehouse

Quote Originally Posted by frenchbar View Post
    If your riding along steeper ground where your horse might lose footing . keep your feet out of the stirrups.easier to bail if something happens.
    IMO not a good idea. you need your feet in the stirrups for your own balance, if the horse stumbles or slips. You should only be riding with the ball of foot on the stirrup anyways, easy to get out. Tapaderos are an essential on saddles I have anything to do with.