Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just got offered my dream hunt

My body might be in Red Deer but my heart and soul are still on the Island

Just got offered my dream hunt

Well one of the guys that I work with out here in AB has a extra horse for his annual sheep/elk/deer trip this year and has offered it to me. I almost fell over when he asked if I would be interested.

I have been picking his brain quite a bit since I moved out here just over a year ago and he has always been great with giving me places to try and landowners numbers and stuff but when he mentioned this I almost hugged him.

So other that getting into way better shape and going down to spend a few days learning to ride(only been on a horse once) any other gear or things I could get that would be horse back trip specific.

Now if time would just go by a little bit faster

Hilgy
    "you can have your rifle on the dashboard and ammo clenched between your teeth and that's legal."-Gatehouse

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Just got offered my dream hunt

May I be so bold as to suggest you spend more than a few days riding, not just to learn but if you intend on being on its back for most of the day you will be stiffer than steel when you get off if you haven't got use to it!
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

keep your gun on your shoulder so when the horse bucks you off, you can shoot it! Can't shoot a runaway horse with the gun in the scabbard, happened to someone I know, I was actually very close, quite humorable
    If you Live Life with no risks, you risk living life at all!

A horn bag is nice to have for packing a little extra things with ya.example..12 pack of beer.nice and conveinent for the ride in.
    Midnight toker

Thumbs up Re: Just got offered my dream hunt

PIMP.CONGRATS MAN

If your riding along steeper ground where your horse might lose footing . keep your feet out of the stirrups.easier to bail if something happens.
    Midnight toker

I say dont even try and get in shape make the horses do all the work for ya ! Well that is only my thoughts and yes i have been a horseback hunting guide for the last 4 years

All kidding aside try and get some riding in before the hunt and dont do as derek said put your rifle in the scabbard, not only will it not get beat to sh!t it will save you the cash you will have to pay when you dump your buddies horse with a nice running double lunger! I know what derek means but you jsut wait until you make it out then shoot him

steve

definatly Rifle stays in scabbard till its ready to use.
    Midnight toker

Assless chaps

Ask your friend with the horses if you are going to be in the thick brush. IF he says yes I would look into getting a pair of shotgun chaps . They are a lot easier to walk in, better in the rain and are a little warmer as well then batwing chaps in my opinion. And go riding as much as you can and just go be around them so you can learn there temperment. Slow movements and lots of low calm talking helps relax the horse and then they will learn to trust you. And most of all be confident, horses can detect a scared person better then a dog.
    "Our comfort zones can be our greatest enemy to our potential"