Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just got offered my dream hunt

Re: Just got offered my dream hunt

Quote Originally Posted by Hilgy View Post
    I never really thought that I would get a chance to hunt them(read fat *******) so havent done much research.
    You will want to be in some kind of hiking condition, and have good boots. The horses won't take you everywhere, and if your Bud looks after them, you will be riding them up and walking the down.

Never say 'whoa' in the middle of a mud hole.

Prince Rupert Again, Formerly Fort Nelson

Oh man you lucky bugger! That is on my list of dream hunts also!
    "Dy'in ain't much of a livin' boy"

"There is NO Keyser Soze"!!!!!!

"Do cow moose have white inside their ears"?!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by frenchbar View Post
    A horn bag is nice to have for packing a little extra things with ya.example..12 pack of beer.nice and conveinent for the ride in.
    Remember to keep the load balanced. Have a counter weight for your rifle/scabbard.
    May require two-handed beer drinking.

Aside from the horse ride advice....I would suggest the most important thing you take is good optics.......if you dont have good bino's yet start saing now and buy em....have had many hunters bring ' nasty' glass's on a sheep hunt..let them look through good glass and they get wayy bumbed out , then only 2 out of 4 eyes is doin it all........good luck... ( your scabbard side knee is going to be in pain no matter what).......

SO much on sheep hunting ..optics good optics are a must..a ****trick **** I have used in the past is get your self a couple pairs of full pantyhose..ya ya yuk it up..however they keep you warm when its cold and the horse is doing all the work saddle blankets keep a LOT of horse heat from reaching you..ALSO #1 REASON..YOU DONT GET RUBBED RAW..amazing how sore you will get from getting rubbed as the horse moves..

Setting proper stirrup length is essential..to short and your knees take a horrible beating = crippled for hours...too long and your jewels and ass take a pounding worth getting this one right..

Steven

buy some wrangler jeans. They are essential for a comfy horseride. The leg seams are reversed so there is less material between your legs. And they fit tight so you dont have clothing rubbing all day! And tightywities are much better than boxers while in the saddle - unless you like the feeling of cloth in the crack!
    Tapaderos are also very handy - especially if you have not rode horse a lot. Its a lot easier to get proper foot position with them, and there is little chance your foot will slip through the stirrup and get caught. Just one less thing to worry about so you have more time to enjoy the ride!
    Last edited by Wildfoot; 01-14-2008 at 07:30 PM.
    Animals gotta die too - Don't let them survive you!

Smile Re: Just got offered my dream hunt

Quote Originally Posted by Krico View Post
    Assless chaps
    Yee Haw......

My body might be in Red Deer but my heart and soul are still on the Island

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the ideas and advise.

Srupp, if I try the pantyhose thing I dont think I will be telling anyone about it. What do you mean about the saddle blankets?? Are they a good thing or a bad thing??

Hilgy
    "you can have your rifle on the dashboard and ammo clenched between your teeth and that's legal."-Gatehouse

If you are leery of being caught wearing panty hose you could always try a pair of Under Armour lightweight underwear. They are more like a second skin than panty hose and do help you stay very warm.

I bought a couple pairs of similar ones (Cooper MVP) at my local Giant Tiger store for 12 bucks a pair and they really help me stay warm when I am just wearing jeans. When I wear my winter camo for yotes, I wear them and then another set of medium weight johns and then my insulated winter camo....20 below is nice and toasy....

I think what he is getting at with the saddle blankets is that the horse is working and putting off some good warmth, but the saddle blankets prevent it from getting to you.....
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main