Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Checkmate Bows

Re: Checkmate Bows

Herm send me a pm and I can get you the details.

Marc will tell you that there was a time when a lot of guys were buying 60 lb stickbows but folks are downsizing a bit. 50-55 lb with good shot placement and the right arrow/ broadhead combination will down anything in North America. If this is your first trad bow I'd lean closer to 50 than 60 lb.

Chek Mate is a damn good choice by the way.

'yote

I to am looking to buy a recurve . but i am going to take my time chooseing one . in the meantime i will learn to shoot with a 37 lber . when i can shoot it real good i will buy a 50 lb... maybe a chekmate

After WW2 people started having more spare time and money for important things like ... HUNTING. Archery of different types started taking off in the US and to a lesser extent in Canada. One type of archery was field archery which involved shooting at different targets outside. That is when bowhunting started taking off as well. Fish and Game agencies started taking an interest in bowhunting and needed to set standards. Penetration tests were done on deer carcasses with 40 lb @ 28 " draw, or within the archers draw length giving good results. So bows in the low 40 pound range became common for both field archery and hunting. You don't need a 50 pound pull bow for deer elk or even moose. With the right arrow and a hit in the lungs 40 # will do at 20-25 yards. This is when shooting a recurve bow with a 2 blade broadhead of 400 grain at 150fps.

Personally I have taken 3 deer with a 50# Chekmate recurve made in 1976. For deer though a 40# bow is enough and if I happened to have a moose tag and a moose presented itself broadside at 20 yards , yes I'd take the shot with a 40 # bow. Traditional archery is about getting close.

http://www.peteward.com/test.stalker.html

Thanks guys. Since shops don't carry the bows in stock... I want to see pics of the various wood combinations and the websites I've been to don't do a good job of displaying the options. Any other suggestions?

It looks like my spring bear hunt will be with the compound bow this year... sigh.
    Last edited by The Hermit; 01-22-2008 at 01:10 AM.
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Quote Originally Posted by The Hermit View Post
    Thanks guys. since shops don't carry the bows in stock............Any other suggestions?
    I bought mine from these Guys.....
    Quite a few ChekMates in stock and wow did they send it QUICK !

http://www.archerybymail.com/shop/category.asp?catid=5

Have you seen this site for Pics of finished Bows and wood selections ?

http://www.recurves.com/Hunter_II_Photos.htm

I may have another one on the way.........

Well ordered my Check-Mate TD Hunter 11 from WindFeather. Monty says it will take about 90 days give or take... now the long wait begins.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hermit View Post
    Well ordered my Check-Mate TD Hunter 11 from WindFeather. Monty says it will take about 90 days give or take... now the long wait begins.
    I'm sure you will not be dissappointed......well worth the wait

Excellent call, Hermit. Monty is my "dealer" as well, whenever I need a trad-fix. I bought my ChekMate TD Hunter from him in '97. Phenomenal bow.

Cheers,
    4Ster
    "If you want to hunt beasts you don't see every day,
    You have to go places quite out-of-the-way.
    You have to go places no others can get to,
    You have to get cold and you have to get wet, too."
    - Dr. Seuss

The 'Hummer' Guest

The Hermit, did you get your bow? My sisters partner asked me to sell a bow for him and the name 'rang' a bell. It's a Checkmate. I was 'thinking' of picking it up but I'm more into compounds. I still have a couple of Willims recurves that I haven't used for many years so I'd better not hang onto the ChekMate as well. I don't know if it's what you're looking for but here are the details on it;
    - ChekMate
    - Attila, model I believe
    - 56"
    - 50# @ 28"
    - A. 1089 (??)
    - like new condition, not a mark.
    In addition, it comes with a 'string' for stringing it and six wooden feather fletched arrows, marked 55# and 31" from nock to tip. If you're interested, send me a PM.
    Last edited by The 'Hummer'; 02-04-2008 at 10:48 AM.

You got mail.