Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Banning Spinning decoys?

Re: Banning Spinning decoys?

Motion is king. If they take away my batteries I will use a string and spring. I have taken more than one limit with 4 decoys and a spinner. If the wings aren't cupped and the feet aren't down, something is not right.

I agree with John. I set my decoys and blind according to the spinner and wind. Seldom do I shoot at ducks farther than 25 yards.
    Hooked on quack.

Just a thought...

Could it be that the flocks are becoming upset by luring in the dumb/young birds, and that the magority now are older/wiser???

Not a waterfowler, just taking in what I've read in this thread.

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.
    My HBC Photo Gallery: http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showg...sername=mrdean

I agree that motion is king, I know guys who have far better results using a couple jerk strings in the spread then a spinner, and if they ban mojos here they'd just go back to using the jerk strings all the time. I dont think or have heard any word on even considering these being banned yet, and don't think they will be any time soon. Mr.Dean now thats the question of the hour isn't it, some guys are now noticing a difference in how the birds are reacting to them and others still are having great result, could be many things, where you're hunting whether it be a field or water, if you're off a refuge with ducks all year round or mainly hunting migrating ducks. But I know from last year to this year running the same spread in the fields doing everything the same we've seen way less birds want to commit, so we've stuck to mainly hunting geese. We obviously need to make changes or locations but I just wanted to really find out what others results and thoughts have been on using them.
    1st Im in charge, and if not Matt is. Your job is to sign checks, tell us we're doing good and open your case of scotch after a good day. 2nd my fee. You can keep it, all I want in exchange for my service is the right to hunt all the drakes. A male. Buck only. Why and how are my business. If you don't like it, go alone. Set up right here or in a swamp or in the middle of a noshoot field for all I care. I've been on too many duck hunts with rich dentists to listen to any more suicidal ideas. Ok?

I like using them, as they are very effective. If they want us to shoot less ducks than lower the bag limits!!
    The ducks will catch on over time probably.
    they are even for sale cheaper here: Motorized Duck Decoy
    "Using your legs to go up a road is called walking, not hiking and if you have a gun over your shoulder or a bow in hand it's called road hunting."
    -Goat Guy. Dec 3/09.

I am in agreement that motion is important. We have all been there rearanging our spread when all of a sudden there they are. I believe this is more than coincidence, its the motion.

I do;however, believe that irregular motion, ie/ rearranging,taking a leak, is different than constant motion created by spin wings. My regular partner has a spin wing that can be turned off remotely compared to mine that are remotly controlled. (new thread maybe regarding electronics and ethics?!) Seems like a good idea, particularily when the ducks have spotted the spread and are coming. We have not used enough times consistently to really form a solid opinion.

I do believe that most ducks, particularly local birds are slowly being conditioned to the blur of spin wings and thus are decoy shy.

Always an interesting study to really figure out why the ducks don't come into ones's spread...is it decoys,location,calling,lack of, weather,hunter camo or whatever. Let's not forget, and I believe this to be the case, most often ducks have it in their mind where they want to eat and where they want to sleep!...and it is going to take one hellava spread,calling sequence etc...to pull ducks from what they need to do when their mind is fixed on that...eat and rest! This is what makes waterfowling appealing to many of us.

This past season (unfortunately, we are done here in the Okanagan) I had a few opportunities to watch real ducks congregate in 30-50 bird groups along a local flight path. On most occasions flocks flew right past this bunch of birds. I started thinking "if they won't come in to the real birds how am I to make my spread more attractive?" I would sure like to hunt with the guys that can pull birds in situations like this! This is one example of ducks need to eat (even more critical later in the season) and it will take a good hunter to consistently pull these birds.

my thoughts....boom....

Could it be that the flocks are becoming upset by luring in the dumb/young birds, and that the magority now are older/wiser???
    Any one who hunts or fish will tell you it is a lot easier to bag a young one than a mature one. You don't live to be old and wise by being dumb. The harvest will always contain a higher number of juveniles regardless of hunting methods. Besides I am sure the predator birds get far far more young ducks than hunters.
    3 years ago you could shoot ducks with a spinner while wearing high vis. Now they are harder to use, but I think they are still effective if used properly.
    The evolution of the motion decoy has a long way to go.
    I hunt ducks like I fish bass. If the ducks aren't biting, I switch it up. Something always works.
    Hooked on quack.

Tanya's hubby John here;

Boom Boom that's the second rule of duck hunting. As soon as you get out of your blind to have a leak or rearrange the decoys some birds will fly by. For those of you new to the sport the first rule is that as soon as you pick up the decoys and leave some ducks will fly over exactly where you just were. This rule applies even if you haven't seen a duck all morning.

Just a thought if I was a wildlife manager wouldn't I want th harvest to be slanted towards young birds. I would think that older wiser birds would have better nesting success.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya
    Boom Boom that's the second rule of duck hunting. As soon as you get out of your blind to have a leak or rearrange the decoys some birds will fly by. For those of you new to the sport the first rule is that as soon as you pick up the decoys and leave some ducks will fly over exactly where you just were. This rule applies even if you haven't seen a duck all morning.
    Funny story, we were goose hunting about 2 months back now with two other buddies and they had to pee really bad about mid morning and we had only seen one goose so far so, so we say sure get out there quick and do your thing. Well as soon as they both step out of the spread and unzip and start pissing, a flock of around a dozen tavernor geese come in real low. The guys didnt know what to do so they honestly just stood there holding there johnsons in one hand not moving.

The geese at first noticed them and flared, but we got more aggressive on the calls and a bit of flagging and they circled twice more and even flew over them at about 10 yards and then dropped right into the kill hole, since just the two of us were holding our guns we shot I think 4 or 5 out of that bunch. Needless to say I was amazed at how bad the geese wanted to land with our certain decoys and not mind the two guys pissing just 15 yards away.

As for the first rule, out of the all the weekends we've goose hunted, probably 75 percent of the time just after we pack up all the decoys with a big truck in the middle of the field do a couple more flocks always come by low. I guess we need to smarten up and stay out there a bit longer.
    1st Im in charge, and if not Matt is. Your job is to sign checks, tell us we're doing good and open your case of scotch after a good day. 2nd my fee. You can keep it, all I want in exchange for my service is the right to hunt all the drakes. A male. Buck only. Why and how are my business. If you don't like it, go alone. Set up right here or in a swamp or in the middle of a noshoot field for all I care. I've been on too many duck hunts with rich dentists to listen to any more suicidal ideas. Ok?

Tanya's hubby John here;

It doesn't matter how long you stay out CF the first rule seems to always apply.

Quote Originally Posted by HuntNHookSports View Post
    Any one who hunts or fish will tell you it is a lot easier to bag a young one than a mature one. You don't live to be old and wise by being dumb. The harvest will always contain a higher number of juveniles regardless of hunting methods. Besides I am sure the predator birds get far far more young ducks than hunters.
    3 years ago you could shoot ducks with a spinner while wearing high vis. Now they are harder to use, but I think they are still effective if used properly.
    The evolution of the motion decoy has a long way to go.
    I hunt ducks like I fish bass. If the ducks aren't biting, I switch it up. Something always works.
    Couldn't agree more
    Always remember the rear end you kick today may be the one you need to kiss tomorrow.

Kids that hunt and fish don't grow up to rob little old ladies!