Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Validity of I.B.E.P. ?

Re: Validity of I.B.E.P. ?

The end result of an unrecovered animal (and we read about it on here all the time) becomes a question of someone's ethics.

If we reduce the risk, we reduce the accusations.

If an individual has poor ethics and takes marginal shots i doubt that he is going to change his ways after taking the IBEP course.
    This is exactly the target of the IBEP. It is not about whether you can shoot or not, it's about when to take a shot. High percentage shots and recovering an animal. And I know for a fact people do change after taking the course. They change because they are more informed. They change in what they use for equipment (broadhead type, weight and type of arrow) and each step, makes the hunter more proficient.

Each step toward proficiency, reduces negative outcomes. Reduces accusations of poor ethics.

Our morals, our personal ethics are likely ingrained at birth and nutured through mentoring, I agree, but we all pass judgement on people based on our assessment of ethics.

If we want to increase our social support network, we must act responsibly. Voluntarily take your IBEP. Every one of you. Don't sit back and say, there is nothing in it for me, there is nothing I can learn from it. That's an indication that you don't care. And isn't that what got this thread started?

To take it voluntarily is your choice. It's the responsible thing to do. If you don't take it, perhaps you are not responsible enough to be left with the decision in your hands.

If this is a peer activity, then I'm challenging anyone that picks up a bow, to ensure they have taken their IBEP.

[quote=J_T;223741]
    To take it voluntarily is your choice. It's the responsible thing to do. If you don't take it, perhaps you are not responsible enough to be left with the decision in your hands.

your right it is every individuals choice to take the course and thats the way it should be.Remarks like your last sentence are not going to encourage anybody to take the course.

J_T dont take my remarks personally, as i have stated i'm sure the course has lots to offer and is very beneficial,I'am just opposed to making it mandatory.As soon as it is made mandatory there is cost involved for the course,for an organization to administer and regulate it, for a bowhunters license, the cost is no longer minimal, and hunters really dont need anymore fee's thrown at them.
    I'm just here to provide moral support......Hey nice (insert animal here)congrats.

In memory of you dad..."you always leave a campsite cleaner then when you found it"

There's only one thing in life that constitutes insanity..... continuing to do the same thing you have been doing but expecting different results.

Some of your last statement was a little harsh JT . So who teachs the course ?? Is some instuctor teaching you his opionon on whats an etheical shot or not. are we going to learn what he likes for a broadheads . how much of this course is opionons. I might take it to if its offerd by someone i think i can learn something from.

Thumbs down Re: Validity of I.B.E.P. ?

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    That's an indication that you don't care. And isn't that what got this thread started?

Well with comments like yours everyone will be busting down the door to take the Course I'm sure.

This would all be settled with an inclusion of a condensed IBEP segment in the current Core program . The expanded IBEP would then be available to those who would want it .
    Cheers to all and a Happy New Year !!!
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

Quote Originally Posted by greybark View Post
    This would all be settled with an inclusion of a condensed IBEP segment in the current Core program . The expanded IBEP would then be availible to those who would want it .
    Best Solution, Period.

Bow Walker Guest

I firmly believe that the I.B.E.P. course has many different advantages on many different levels.
    Will and bsa30-06....Ethics, for example - if we can give a young/impressionable hunter a sound basis from which to develop ethics - will not that be a positive from the course, even though it might be mandatory? I know that ethics are individual, but we all have to develop them from somewhere. I also know that you both agree with the promotion of the course.

Onesock...I don't really care where people earn to bow hunt. All I feel strongly about is how they learn to bow hunt.

Peer taught ethics from Dad or a buddy do not always stick on the student. I remember seeing my own dad take a less than favourable shot at a deer and I distinctly remember thinking that I wouldn't have done that. I was 12 at the time.

As huntwriter says - the course is mandatory elsewhere. How much linger til it's mandatory here in BC?

What hunting in general could use (and badly) is a very good PR agent. The Antis have somehow gotten a huge amount of exposure, which has equalled support, for their stand on the issue. We need to do the same.

P.E.T.A started out as an association for protection of pets, basically. Or am I wrong? They have somehow morphed into being against any and all forms of hunting and harvesting of game animals. Wha' happened? Where were the hunting associations, clubs, organizations, fish & game clubs, etc. when all this was happening.

We've been asleep and apathetic. That's where.

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Best Solution, Period.
    This would all be settled with an inclusion of a condensed IBEP segment in the current Core program . The expanded IBEP would then be available to those who would want it .

I agree 100% Happy New Year to you also greybark Cheers!!!

greybark i agree 100% and think that is what should happen.You know i didn't enter into archery and bowhunting to be a once a year bow shooter.I took lessons , tried all types of bows before making any of my decisions, asked my fair share of dumb questions , etc.I'am not opposed to the IBEP course, just the fact that some seem to think that if the course was mandatory it would be the end all solution to hunters with poor ethics, and the publics perception of hunters.
    I'm just here to provide moral support......Hey nice (insert animal here)congrats.

In memory of you dad..."you always leave a campsite cleaner then when you found it"

There's only one thing in life that constitutes insanity..... continuing to do the same thing you have been doing but expecting different results.

I cannot imagine how anyone will be highly motivated to take this course after reading some of the comments here!
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!