Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Validity of I.B.E.P. ?

Bow Walker Guest

2. Site Sponsor

Thumbs up Re: Validity of I.B.E.P. ?

What I believe we have here are several issues which need to be addressed. The IBEP course is merely bait in what is a true kettle of fish. Probably the single most important issue for hunter survival, and that includes all hunters, is public perception.

1. A mandatory bow hunting course would probably provide a small headline in the bowels of a paper. Put that headline with the recurring image of the doe in Ontario with a crossbow bolt in her neck and now you have front page news!!

2. Archery clubs need to present an inviting place for families to come to try archery. I got into archery and bow hunting because my then eight year old daughter liked archery at guide camp. I was fortunate to know someone in a club that got her and then my son and I started. The kids are the future of hunting and archery does not provide the same stigma of guns. Let’s use that to our advantage!

3.Does anyone really want more red tape?

4.Can we legislate proficiency with a weapon? Any weapon!! Every year people go hunting without proper knowledge of their weapons and their own personal limitations with those weapons. This results in wounded game and ammunition for the anti-hunting groups. Practice, Practice, Practice. It’s cheap and green. We recycle our ammunition over and over.

I apologize for the rambling. I believe the IBEP to be a valuable course that should be promoted within the archery community, but not mandated. There is no magic bullet, ah arrow.
    For every person with a spark of genius............. there are a hundred with ignition trouble!!!

Thumbs up Re: Validity of I.B.E.P. ?

Quote Originally Posted by Blk Arrow View Post
    What I believe we have here are several issues which need to be addressed. The IBEP course is merely bait in what is a true kettle of fish. Probably the single most important issue for hunter survival, and that includes all hunters, is public perception.

1. A mandatory bow hunting course would probably provide a small headline in the bowels of a paper. Put that headline with the recurring image of the doe in Ontario with a crossbow bolt in her neck and now you have front page news!!

2. Archery clubs need to present an inviting place for families to come to try archery. I got into archery and bow hunting because my then eight year old daughter liked archery at guide camp. I was fortunate to know someone in a club that got her and then my son and I started. The kids are the future of hunting and archery does not provide the same stigma of guns. Let’s use that to our advantage!

4.Can we legislate proficiency with a weapon? Any weapon!! Every year people go hunting without proper knowledge of their weapons and their own personal limitations with those weapons. This results in wounded game and ammunition for the anti-hunting groups. Practice, Practice, Practice. It’s cheap and green. We recycle our ammunition over and over.

I apologize for the rambling. I believe the IBEP to be a valuable course that should be promoted within the archery community, but not mandated. There is no magic bullet, ah arrow.
    Words of wisdom.........

Re: Validity of I.B.E.P. ?

THE VAST MAJORITY ON THIS SITE WOULD SAY WHO CARES

We really need to unite as hunters regardless of hunting methods

Bow Walker Guest

Can anyone truly say that they believe the "vast majority on this site would say "who cares?""

I give THE VAST MAJORITY of HBC'ers much more credit than that!

Although not everyone takes the time to express their point of view, I would say - with certainty - that the "vast majority" are very concerned about the future of the sport of Hunting. In whatever form that takes, be it game or fowl.

Public perception of hunting and hunters is in dire need of a good publications expert. We need to have the general public aware of the benefits of regular open seasons on game animals and also on waterfowl (as huntwriter has stated).

Take the extra season(s) for the Snow Goose as an example. They devastated vast areas of tundra in their breeding grounds. They still are devastating the areas. They strip the land of any - and every - kind of edible vegetation, leaving barren ground behind them. The Federal gov't, in their wisdom, deemed it necessary to reduce the population significantly to both save the ecology and to preserve the integrity of the species.

There was lots of "advertising" and "public awareness" about the efforts of our "ecologically minded" government officials. They were perceived as doing the right thing for the species.

Hunting in general needs that kind of good press. But where to get it from?

Quote Originally Posted by Blk Arrow View Post

I agree well said.I dont see how making acourse like this mandatory is going to make anybody a better shot.I also dont see it stopping the so called guys that are just taking advantage of the extra season from still doing so.I'm sure some will take the course and put the bows back in the closet till hunting season, and pull them back out.
    I'm just here to provide moral support......Hey nice (insert animal here)congrats.

In memory of you dad..."you always leave a campsite cleaner then when you found it"

There's only one thing in life that constitutes insanity..... continuing to do the same thing you have been doing but expecting different results.

Bow Walker Guest

I agree that making the course mandatory won't make archers a better shot - only practice can do that - and it won't help get rid of the opportunistic hunters. It's not designed to do either of those things.

Making the I.B.E.P. course mandatory to get a bow hunting license will only increase the validity and the perception (in the eyes of the "public") of our comittment to our sport. It'll go a long way to showing that we don't belong in the category of the "Deliverance" type of backwoods rednecks.

Bowhunters are, by and large, a responsible group of normal people. It happens that we just like to get out into the outdoors and away from the Latte and Cappuccino crowds. While we are out there we like to pit our skills against the wild animals that we hunt.

Wink Re: Validity of I.B.E.P. ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bow Walker View Post
    Making the I.B.E.P. course mandatory to get a bow hunting license will only increase the validity and the perception (in the eyes of the "public") of our comittment to our sport. It'll go a long way to showing that we don't belong in the category of the "Deliverance" type of backwoods rednecks.
    If the Current License and CORE requiremenst don't do "squat" to increase the validity and perception in the eyes of the public now.........exactly what difference will yet another Course/ license do ?

Bow Walker I don't agree sorry.Using that logic the CORE program should have changed the publics perception on hunters in general,and that obviously has not happened, as every article printed in the papers is all about bad mouthing hunters and hunting.Don't get me wrong i think the course could be a very usefull tool for bowhunters, but i dont think making it mandatory is going to make the public perception of hunters any better,and arent there enough mandatory loop holes to jump thru already.Who and how would regulate and keep track of people bowhunting? would you have to buy a special license to prove you took the course?How much is it going to cost to set up and administer such a program?I just dont see this as being a feasible solution to changing the public perception of hunters.Just my opinion.
    I'm just here to provide moral support......Hey nice (insert animal here)congrats.

In memory of you dad..."you always leave a campsite cleaner then when you found it"

There's only one thing in life that constitutes insanity..... continuing to do the same thing you have been doing but expecting different results.

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    If the Current License and CORE requiremenst don't do "squat" to increase the validity and perception in the eyes of the public now.........exactly what difference will yet another Course/ license do ?
    Will i think you and i thinking the same way here.