Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NESCO JerkyXpress, yum yum!!

Re: NESCO JerkyXpress, yum yum!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bpower View Post
    I have never actually put the jerky in the oven afterwards and haven't had any problems yet. I guess that is the reason for the "cure package" included. The cure not only includes a bunch of salt but nitrates as well. When you cut or break a piece that has been in the dehydrator and see the red or rosy colour this is partially due to the reaction of the nitrates.

I bought the set of extra trays from London Drugs and by using them all together it works out well for 5lb batches.

What I like about commercial seasoning mixes is the pre-measured amount of cure agent or nitrates. It takes the guess work out and you should be safe eating the product even if it wasn't completely dried or cooked. I know I said that I play with the mix-meat ratio but safe storage of the jerky should alleviate any problems.

Arrgghhh I don't feel well!!! Just joking!!!!

I almost started eating the stuff right of the dehydrator yesterday but chickened out, I'll give it a try next batch.. Now off to shop for electric meat grinders

I have only ever finished it in the oven for bear meat......everything else no

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound View Post
    I have only ever finished it in the oven for bear meat......everything else no
    Cool thanks, ya know I'll blame it on you when I'm dying!!

How long do ya leave the meat before squeezing it into the dehydrator? Is it supposed to "marinade" for any time?
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

Quote Originally Posted by huntcoop View Post
    How long do ya leave the meat before squeezing it into the dehydrator? Is it supposed to "marinade" for any time?
    I used ground, no marinade.. basically mix ground meat with the cure (salt looking stuff) & the flavor mix also a dry powder.. add meat mix it together & stuff it into the cocking gun and your in biz..

There are recipes in the back of the manual for thinly cut meat that use a marinade..

Check it out here: http://www.nesco.com/products/?categ...cat=100&id=312

The wife bought it at London Drugs..

the Hi Mountain seasonings are way better than anything else

http://shop.himtnjerky.com/online/home.php?cat=248

most any hunting shop should have them in stock

I mix and let sit in fridge overnight
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

"I have only ever finished it in the oven for bear meat......everything else no"

How is bear jerky? Do you grind it or dry the whole meat in thin slices?

Quote Originally Posted by Bpower View Post
    "I have only ever finished it in the oven for bear meat......everything else no"

How is bear jerky? Do you grind it or dry the whole meat in thin slices?
    Bear jerky is awesome. Grind it into burger and use the jerky gun just like all the other meats. Kechika on the site here bought a gun and dehydrator just because of eating my bear jerky

Ok, heres a new one..

Just made fruit leather for the first time!!! I took old black berries the wife had at the bottom of the freezer allowed them to thaw and blendered them up about 2 pint in total. Then I added 2 cups of store bought apple sauce. Took about 5-6 hours, well worth the wait. WOW, kids are going nuts over it, better yet NO sugar just real fruit.