Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do with my ducks?

What to do with my ducks?

Had a fairly productive day, brought home a dozen ducks (mix bag of mallards, pintails, gadwall, widgeon). A few have been spoken for by family friends, I'll have about 5 left after giving some away. So the million dollar question is, what could I do with them? I've heard people making duck sausage/jerky, good idea or not? Or should I just stick to roasting them whole, or breasting it out for later use?

On a side note, I brought out the SX3 today. What a gun! Kill one on my first volley, then throughout the day I achieved doubles on 3 occasions (2 of them could probably have tripled). The recoil is minimal compared to an 870; the muzzle jump is so much less that it makes recovery a lot faster, and the lack of pumping to cycle vastly improves target re-acquisition. Needless to say I am more than satisfied with this $1000 investment. Thank you Winchester!
    Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    You can do it buddy! you're a terrific person inside! (just not on the outside)

2. Site Sponsor

Re: What to do with my ducks?

I'd pluck, double wrap and freeze them as-is for later use. Summer BBQ'd duck may be a treat you will want when the season's a long way off.
    Good to hear a solid experience on a new shootin' iron. Sounds like it works fine for you, and in the end what else really matters? Nice choice BTW...
    If you see it, you can hit it!

http://www.justgamerecipes.com/inxduc.html

Many ideas here, Merry Christmas.

Our favorite is to pluck the breast off then remove the breast fillets carefully. Score the skin with a knife about six times.
    Sear in a hot skillet in butter and oil, skin side down first then turn skin up . Move to a 375 degree oven for 8 minutes. (should be medium rare).
    Move the pan back to the burner remove the duck breasts and cover to stay warm. Deglaze the pan with some Balsamic vinegar then add a handful of frozen cranberries.
    When they start to get soft mash about half of them.
    Slice the duck in quarter inch slices across the grain and place either on a bed of greens (lunch) or your favorite carb(dinner).
    Finish with a streak of the pan sauce.
    Open a bottle of a good hearty red and enjoy.
    Last edited by Tanya; 12-25-2007 at 08:05 AM.

I actaully just made goose burgers with a bunch of goose meat. Ground up about 7 pounds of goose meat and added 5 pounds of gound pork, added some spices and instead of making it into sausage which the recipe calls for I just made patties out of the meat. I already fried some up and they are absolutely great. Both my sisters couldn't even taste the game and loved it, they look like a burger but taste like an italian sausage.
    Last edited by Crazy_Farmer; 12-25-2007 at 08:23 AM.
    1st Im in charge, and if not Matt is. Your job is to sign checks, tell us we're doing good and open your case of scotch after a good day. 2nd my fee. You can keep it, all I want in exchange for my service is the right to hunt all the drakes. A male. Buck only. Why and how are my business. If you don't like it, go alone. Set up right here or in a swamp or in the middle of a noshoot field for all I care. I've been on too many duck hunts with rich dentists to listen to any more suicidal ideas. Ok?

ive made some goose peperoni.... that tasted pretty good!

Three of my fav ways to eat duck are

1)Stir fry with veg and rice

2)Breaded with onion soup mix and fryed in butter

3)Soak in brown suger.salt.apple juice.and garlic for 24 hr.Put in smoker with apple chips for 4 hrs and finish it of in the oven.

Merry Christmas everyone, and thanks for the suggestions! Many of these recipes are making my mouth water as we speak

Personally I wouldn't mind BBQ-ing them, except we don't have a BBQ anymore

I might try making pepperoni, seems interesting. I tried my Shoveler burger a while back, it wasn't bad but duck burger just isn't my thing, maybe when I bag that goose......

Rishu Pepper writes: Had a fairly productive day, brought home a dozen ducks (mix bag of mallards, pintails, gadwall, widgeon).

The daily bag limit is 8 ducks, hope that you didn't go over your limit.
    ________
    electric cigarettes
    Last edited by porcupine; 01-29-2011 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by porcupine View Post
    Rishu Pepper writes: Had a fairly productive day, brought home a dozen ducks (mix bag of mallards, pintails, gadwall, widgeon).

The daily bag limit is 8 ducks, hope that you didn't go over your limit.
    No my friend gave me his share (he wanted only one), while the property owner only picked one out of our 14, and with 12 I was well under the possession limit of 16. My friend wasn't pulling his weight (not a good day for the 870 ). Thanks for looking out for me though
    Last edited by rishu_pepper; 12-25-2007 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    http://www.justgamerecipes.com/inxduc.html

Many ideas here, Merry Christmas.

Our favorite is to pluck the breast off then remove the breast fillets carefully. Score the skin with a knife about six times.
    Sear in a hot skillet in butter and oil, skin side down first then turn skin up . Move to a 375 degree oven for 8 minutes. (should be medium rare).
    Move the pan back to the burner remove the duck breasts and cover to stay warm. Deglaze the pan with some Balsamic vinegar then add a handful of frozen cranberries.
    When they start to get soft mash about half of them.
    Slice the duck in quarter inch slices across the grain and place either on a bed of greens (lunch) or your favorite carb(dinner).
    Finish with a streak of the pan sauce.
    Open a bottle of a good hearty red and enjoy.

If I knew how to spell that sound Homer Simpson makes every time he sees/hears about something tasty I'd put that here instead of this....
    Dislexic's everywhere! Untie!!

Member,
    Mission Rod and
    Gun Club.