Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: about CORE and safe hunting

Re: about CORE and safe hunting

ignorance has no ethnical origin,there are just as many white hunters with terrible ethics and gun safety practices as any other race. With that said, If a person can understand the language well enough to pass the core,fill out the PAL forms and buy the correct ammo, he should understand it well enough to know not to shoot over someones head and not park his butt so close to another hunter that he puts them in danger. Makes me wonder where his barrel was pointed while he waited for the next flock of seagulls to come by
    april fool in waiting

I hope this "mentor" doesn't teach too many more new hunters the ropes
    april fool in waiting

I think this where the "informal" firing line would apply. I can't recall if this was stressed during the core course (this was a looooong time ago for me) but, it certainly is discussed when applying for your PAL.

More so, common sense should certainly apply.
    Livin' the dream....

yes the informal firing line was dicussed when i took my core last year.

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    I think this where the "informal" firing line would apply. I can't recall if this was stressed during the core course (this was a looooong time ago for me) but, it certainly is discussed when applying for your PAL.

More so, common sense should certainly apply.
    Sorry, not to be a smart ass but just how are you going to run and organize an "informal firing line" on the b-bay beach with people that don't know better, want to listen or could care less? And who is going to be the self appointed "informal rangemaster". These guys are out there shooting over your head and it's dangerous the first thing to do is get the hell out of there. Second, drive to the nearest RCMP Detachment and report them for unsafe use of a firearm (but be prepared to go to court because otherwise nothing will come of it) and also for hunting the seagulls. You try an appoint yourself as "range master" out there you are going to be told to pound sand. That stuff is good for the range or impromptu range aka: gravel pit, but IMHO has no place in the hunting field.

I fully agree with the end of your post. Common sense should apply.

sneg is offline Born 2 hunt forced 2 work

Probably same as driving, some people got DL ,but never bother to learn how to drive. Will report should see similar again, for my own and their good.
    Member of Outdoors Club Antlers and Hoofs.
    http://antlersandhoofs.com/index.php
    Member of Mission Gun and Rod Club.
    Member of Safari Club International.
    Member of Delta Waterfowl.
    Member of Ducks Unlimited.

sneg that is scary at 10 yards. My friend and I had this happen to us at 30 yards last year and it was not funny at all. We didn't see who it was because we were in tall reeds but we moved well away from them fairly quickly.

I'm of asian descent (and no it wasn't me out there). I grew up in Eastern Canada and I identify with my friends who were born here so its a strange place for me to be in.

I have noticed bad judgement spans all ethnicities as a couple older European guys shot over my head at a distance of 75 yards this year as well as taking 100 yard shots on Snow Geese. Not as scary as hearing the pellets fly right by us at 30 yards last year but not a great feeling nonetheless. I had a hard time communicating with them as their english was pretty weak but tried my best and they were nice guys.

Glad you're ok and I agree, call the CO for the seagulls for sure. That is a lot more surefire than the unsafe firearm route and your word vs theirs.

I have been wondering something. This is 100% not meant to offend. I have no issues with people who do not fully speak english sharing the woods with me, but are the BC Regs printed in mandarin and the other languages that you can take your CORE and PAL tests in?

I think it is silly if someone can take the test in a language that they are more familiar with if the Province does not provide the rules and regs in these languages also! I have only ever seen the english regs for fishing and hunting. It may be easiest to blame the individual - and really... common sense would be that you dont fire guns toward anything that you cannot risk damaging - but if its a misinterpretation of the law and rules due to the fact that the Province does not provide the materials in the languages that people can easily understand, then I would lay a good chunk of the blame on the gov't.

Just look at the grief the wording of the regs causes us english speakin folks - and we supposedly grew up speaking the same language as those lawyers and gov't officials!
    Animals gotta die too - Don't let them survive you!

sneg is offline Born 2 hunt forced 2 work

I agree with Wildfoot,government should make rules available in other languages ,as well as more understandable in English. Specially in view of intentions to increase the number of hunters.
    From another hand it is responsibilty of new hunters to learn basic field skills: safe shooting and reasonable killing distances, recognize flying birds and so on. Sure, number of outfitters and instructors would be happy to assist.
    Member of Outdoors Club Antlers and Hoofs.
    http://antlersandhoofs.com/index.php
    Member of Mission Gun and Rod Club.
    Member of Safari Club International.
    Member of Delta Waterfowl.
    Member of Ducks Unlimited.

Quote Originally Posted by sneg View Post
    I agree with Wildfoot,government should make rules available in other languages ,as well as more understandable in English. Specially in view of intentions to increase the number of hunters.
    From another hand it is responsibilty of new hunters to learn basic field skills: safe shooting and reasonable killing distances, recognize flying birds and so on. Sure, number of outfitters and instructors would be happy to assist.

So you are saying that our taxes should pay to translate into other languages? Sorry, I don't buy that. When I go to other countries where english is not spoken I do not EXPECT the people there to speak english to me. Sure I may APPRECIATE it when they do, I will make a (poor in my case) effort to communicate in the local language. There is already a huge industry translating English documents into French and visa versa to support Canada's two official languages, do we need to add to the tax burden. If people are getting licences without understanding the language that the tests are written in there may be a problem!
    I am really fed up with people emigrating here and not trying to learn the language. Do the locals, naturalized or not have to bend over to make themselves understood? If someone CHOOSES to come to CANADA they should at least make the effort to learn the language. I am not saying that an immigrant needs to forget where they came from, that is what makes this an interesting place to live. There should be basic minimums that are expected in language and culture. Why do the locals have to change?

What next? Do we translate a stop sign into Mandrin, Tagalo, Urdu, Spanish, Farsi .......?

Enoughs enough. Quit making excuses. The test was presented and written in english. If the instructor passed the person in another language, and they still can't read the regs who is helping who?

Oh, by the way, I count in my friends many people from other cultures. This is not a rant about immigrants in general, just those who think that Canadians need to change for them, bend a little maybe, new rules....NO.

Oh and Merry Christmas everyone!