Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: about CORE and safe hunting

sneg is offline Born 2 hunt forced 2 work

Re: about CORE and safe hunting

Phoneguy
    I do not promote the idea of taxpayers paying for someone's lack of language skills in this case.Hunting is a priviledge,so it can be sponsored from pocket of willing to join the sport ,but having language difficulties . As long as it works for the goal -a safety of hunters/public and considerate and lawful harvesting of wildlife. It is much better that someone passes somehow the exams and wondering in the field without clear idea what is good and what is not.
    Member of Outdoors Club Antlers and Hoofs.
    http://antlersandhoofs.com/index.php
    Member of Mission Gun and Rod Club.
    Member of Safari Club International.
    Member of Delta Waterfowl.
    Member of Ducks Unlimited.

Re: about CORE and safe hunting

Quote Originally Posted by sneg View Post
    I agree with Wildfoot,government should make rules available in other languages ,as well as more understandable in English. Specially in view of intentions to increase the number of hunters.
    From another hand it is responsibilty of new hunters to learn basic field skills: safe shooting and reasonable killing distances, recognize flying birds and so on. Sure, number of outfitters and instructors would be happy to assist.

When you stat that "government should make rules available in other languages" don't forget where the money that our government uses comes from. TAXES, yours and mine!

Please don't get me wrong. I am 100% for safety, and education. What irks me is that someone will think its OK and acceptable to hide behind their lack of language skills to make,somehow, everything OK.

I was riding with a co-worker (born in another country) who was quite proud of himself when he related how when he got pulled over by the police for speeding he pretended he didn't understand english to try and get out of a ticket....He had a drivers licence issued in BC....Must have taken the test in english!? I don't know if french is an option here, but that wasn't his first language either!

The senario first presented indicated a lack of a common language as being part of the problem. Hello, if they can't speak the language well enough to have a conversation about gun safety, and they have, through their actions, demonstrated that they have a different fundemental understanding on what is safe, should they have permits to use firearms? That is part of safety in my mind!

Hey I agree with you, it would be nice if the laws were available in a multitude of languages. In the end someone in the GOVERNMENT will have to review those laws in all those languages. Those people draw wages, our taxes...Thats the part that I am resisting. Even if communities volunteer to translate for free, who is going to verify the translation? I am not sure that the CO's should be required to be fluent in all those languages too. And don't forget, the CO's are paid by the government who use our TAX DOLLARS to pay them.

Interesting discussion. It really goes a lot further than just hunting rules.

James