Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gear questions for first (and last) sheep hunt.

Re: Gear questions for first (and last) sheep hunt.

The people you’re watching on YouTube are paid influencers selling a product. The first goat hunt I went on at the age of 14 in 1996 I wore an old pair of my uncles work boots, an aluminum pack frame and we ate cans of soup. lol. If your kid has most of the backpacking gear like tent and water purification stuff than you’re halfway there. There’s a couple good gear lists on this site where guys weigh everything out.

Boots is one thing I’d definitely treat myself too. I’d say you’re looking for something in the $450 or more range.

I would say bugs aren’t a problem everywhere. I can only think of a couple times where the bugs were bad and it wasn’t in the alpine. I bring a small bottle of bug spray and no net.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

PM me a phone number if you’d like to chat a little bit about it. I have a bit of experience in the area and can give you some insight.

I’ve been on a few sheep hunts and have used mountaineering type boots, specifically the scarpa grand dru, zamberlan mountain trek. Also used a pair of the crispi Guides, which is a more traditional leather hunting boot. Last year I used a trail runner. The Crispi Attiva. Personally, for any August hunt, I would only use the trail runners now. That is what worked best for me. Gore Tex, waterproof, stiff, ankle support, etc is what most people preach. But if your feet aren’t comfortable in that type of footwear, it’s not going to be a good experience. Use what works best for you! And is going to hold up to rigorous conditions.

Ive been on hunts where the bugs were terrible and others where bugs were non existent. I always pack a bottle of deet. I get mine in the states cause you can get way better stuff down there. Strongest I’ve found in Canada is 30%. States you can get 99% deet if u want. A bottle of 99% is a lot smaller and concentrated so u save on size and weight. Always pack a head net. It weighs nothing, takes up no space and can save u a lot of annoyance.

300 yards is reasonable, but there can be times where you can’t get any closer than 5 or 600 yards. I personally practice and make myself proficient out to 800 yards. I don’t ever want to shoot that far, closer is always better. But if a ram of a lifetime is standing at 500, do you want to be limited to 300? Know your rifle setup. Know its limitations, know your limitations. Practice lots. Not just off a bench. Mimick what you will have in the field. Will you be shooting off your pack? Bipod? I use quick stix. If you don’t have quick stix, I highly recommend.

Make sure you have a good pack! Almost as important as footwear. Exo, Kifaru or Stone glacier are the top 3 in my opinion.
    Last edited by Bullreaper; 04-26-2024 at 08:13 AM.

If you get new boots, make sure you have worn them plenty before you go. Foot care is a big thing to pay attention to — make sure your feet and socks are free of debris before you put your boots on — good socks and change them when they get wet from sweat — if your boots give you known "hot spots," put moleskin on before you take the first step (don't wait until it's too late. You can tighten your laces differently for going uphill as opposed to downhill — you don't want your toes smashing into the end of the boot or your heal lifting. If your boots get wet, don't put them by the fire to dry them out.

[QUOTE=high horse Hal;2444000]
    Wilbur Smith's Assegai looks like a huge paper-back to pack, but is good for at least 2-3 days

My partner reads a lot of magazines and then passes them to me. I always have a backdated stack about 6" high on the bedside table that I never get to. A few days before I head north, I do a real quick skim through those, tear out a few pages and slide those into my pack for some bedtime/tent time reading. Takes up no space, no weight and I feel absolutely zero guilt about burning them afterwards.

WHY would anyone carry a physical book into sheep country, when you can download EVERY book ever written onto your phone?!?!?

A modern smart phone reduces pounds from your pack, and can add multiple levels of comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by KodiakHntr View Post
    WHY would anyone carry a physical book into sheep country, when you can download EVERY book ever written onto your phone?!?!?

A modern smart phone reduces pounds from your pack, and can add multiple levels of comfort.
    ive carried paper reading materials in plenty of times sheep hunting regardless if its a downloadable material or not. i always carry leuko tape in the event of blisters
    Last edited by stoneramhunter; 04-26-2024 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stoneramhunter View Post
    ive carried reading materials in plenty of times sheep hunting regardless if its a downloadable material or not. i always carry leuko tape in the event of blisters
    Always brought a book - sometimes you're in the tent or camp for extended periods. We even shared paperbacks by tearing pieces off and passing on — burn when finished.

Quote Originally Posted by 2chodi View Post
    Always brought a book - sometimes you're in the tent or camp for extended periods. We even shared paperbacks by tearing pieces off and passing on — burn when finished.
    lol thats been the way since they first started hunting sheep lol. sometimes you read the same page twice before burning