Thread: Life jackets.

Life jackets.

Two kyackers lost..looked like an easy trip. Darcy island to island view beach,Saturday morning .The day started out calm ,should have been an easy trip, but the wind came up fast, and something happened..were they wearing life jackets or survival suits? Who knows.. I admit I don’t when salmon fishing ,they’re in the boat not smart..stuff like this makes me think I’ll invest in those inflatable vests and hope I’ll never need it
    Last edited by ratherbefishin; 04-23-2024 at 10:45 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Life jackets.

It’s not uncommon for drug runners to have issues in those waters. I don’t mean to slander those two, but it’s not uncommon.

Sometimes a life jacket is just so your family can recover the body. Those waters the tide rips and I'm sure they had life jackets but a survival suit would have been needed. That was a quick storm that wasn't expected. We were in a 30ft boat and we were rocked pretty good. Iets hope or pray for a good outcome.
    Hunting the promised land

Quote Originally Posted by ratherbefishin View Post
    Two kyackers lost..looked like an easy trip. Darcy island to island view beach,Saturday morning .The day started out calm ,should have been an easy trip, but the wind came up fast, and something happened..were they wearing life jackets or survival suits? Who knows.. I admit I don’t when salmon fishing ,they’re in the boat not smart..stuff like this makes me think I’ll invest in those inflatable vests and hope I’ll never need it
    Inflatable life vests all the time. It has to be a calm nice sunny spot closer to shore when we remove them.

I was outside, that windstorm came up out of nowhere ,knocked our power out…

Appears they found the bodies. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...e-us-1.7182186 You'll only last so long in cold waters. We crossed the Queen Charlotte straights in a 28 ft boat. The bow was actually going under the water and scooping water back against the windshield. I spent 6 weeks living on an identical boat shown in the pic. The one I was on sank. The people on it were rescued. We went everywhere from Tofino to Ocean falls, and the top of Vancouver Island.

I was out there this morning,looking across to Darcy island , calm as a millpond..but complacency will kill you everytime

Quote Originally Posted by ratherbefishin View Post
    I was out there this morning,looking across to Darcy island , calm as a millpond..but complacency will kill you everytime
    I wonder if flares would have helped. Smoke grenade?

Waterproof marine radio handheld?

Probably happened so fast they had no time to do anything. A survival suit was about the only thing that might have saved them ,but you don’t see kayakers wearing them
    Last edited by ratherbefishin; 04-23-2024 at 08:57 PM.