Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2024 Spring Bear - General Thread

2024 Spring Bear - General Thread

Figured I would try to get some spring bear chatter going. Here's a general thread on the subject. Still hoping to see individual threads pop up of peoples hunts and harvests.

I was poking around last weekend. Yep definitely bears out mowing the grass. Fresh hits everywhere and was seeing new hits throughout the weekend.

Didn't see any bears but honestly didn't try too much. I was being super picky about where and when I'd take a bear if the opportunity presented itself. It was too hot during the day and I didn't want to deal with dressing and packing out a bear in the dark. The area is also really grown in, so it was basically "Alright. I'm going to sit on this log from 5PM until 7PM. IF the bear comes into X area from Y direction and I get a good look at it, I might take it. If t comes from A or B direction I'm going to just yell HEY BEAR and shut it down"

We did (presumably) hear one bear in the proximity. Loud snapping, causing a few rocks to slide, but it never came into where I wanted it to be.

Normally I like to poke in and out of these feeding pockets just like the bears do versus sitting and waiting, but with all the dry maple leaves that wasn't going to happen.

I'm sitting it out this weekend because I have other things that need doing but maybe next weekend. I'd wager there are bears already dropping, especially in R2, so looking forward to reading about it. Beauty time to be out there!

Last edited by caddisguy; 04-20-2024 at 01:45 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 2024 Spring Bear - General Thread

Has anyone on the site been diagnosed with trichinosis and if so how did you get it and how long to recover. My understanding is that around the world trichinosis affects only about 10,000 cases total and in the united states apprx 400 cases a year. AS well if im not mistaken many of the cases in the usa occur from black bear and wild hog. Apparently if you have the worms the longer you wait for treatment the outcome is less favorable and in some cases will cause death. Ofcourse avoiding the worms is easy cook the meat as per guidelines and you should be fine. Btw the worm is not visible by the naked eye it is defiantly microscopic

I bumped one a week ago in my area walking the dog. Not much green around there so I was a little surprised. Been travelling so no chance to get out and explore. I'm hoping to give it my first shot this coming weekend. This time of year is just so busy with work and kid's baseball.

I took a peek in the freezer and it's time to stock back up!

Only been out one day so far, saw no sign until I glassed up one at almost last light, snuck in and cut the first tag April 13th. Hoping to get back out this weekend.
    Life begins where your comfort zone ends

WSSBC Monarch; RMGA; 2% for Conservation Certified; WSF; BCWF

Wow that's early; region 3 I assume? My buddy was scouting in region 2 a couple days ago, no sign / no new grass.
    Quote Originally Posted by porthunter View Post
    Only been out one day so far, saw no sign until I glassed up one at almost last light, snuck in and cut the first tag April 13th. Hoping to get back out this weekend.
    Too many hobbies, too little time.

Been out a couple times, haven’t seen a bear yet. Went to a known “bear area” in region 3 on Saturday and was surprised and frustrated at the amount of other people out and about, road hunting ect. Didn’t think it would be that busy this early but oh well! Gonna wait another week and half or so before I get out again.

Rumour has it lots bears are out in the Tunkwa lake area.

I was out in region 3 a week or so back. Hardly any grass, and no bears.

Quote Originally Posted by rageous View Post
    Rumour has it lots bears are out in the Tunkwa lake area.
    Tunkwa continues to produce, don't know if theres a better place to hunt in this province.

Quote Originally Posted by vincentcui View Post
    Wow that's early; region 3 I assume? My buddy was scouting in region 2 a couple days ago, no sign / no new grass.
    Yes, region 3. Killed them as early as April 2nd in there, but this year with as mild of a winter as we had, seems to be later.
    Life begins where your comfort zone ends

WSSBC Monarch; RMGA; 2% for Conservation Certified; WSF; BCWF

Wow nice, April 2nd is really early for Region 3. My person earliest was Apr 25 in Region 3 (also my earliest in all regions); my dad had done April 1st but it was on Vancouver Island.
    Quote Originally Posted by porthunter View Post
    Tunkwa continues to produce, don't know if theres a better place to hunt in this province.

Yes, region 3. Killed them as early as April 2nd in there, but this year with as mild of a winter as we had, seems to be later.
    Too many hobbies, too little time.