Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best long range/lightweight rifle scope?

Best long range/lightweight rifle scope?

Taking in all considerations, weight, fov, ruggedness, elevation adjustment, glass quality… whatever else I can’t think of at the moment. What’s your guys thoughts on the ideal backpack mountain scope?

I think the leupold vx3hd model with a 30mm tube and windplex reticle would be a good contender. I own a vx5 3-15 that’s a really nice scope, but I’ve barely used it and the erectors broke. From what I understand this is likely to happen again. I’m going to keep it and keep using it, but I have another project on the go in 7saum and I’ll need to put some glass on it.

One of the features I like about the leupold is the zero lock.
    Last edited by Bustercluck; 04-19-2024 at 09:38 PM.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Best long range/lightweight rifle scope?

A solid contender is the NF NXS 2.5-10x42. A little heavier and less magnification, but with a stellar reputation in the durability department. Exactly what you need for a backcountry scope.
    .375 H&H, .375 Ruger, .375 Weatherby - THE 3 KINGS!!!

Why not get ahold of Korth, get the mark 5 fixed or replaced, then sell it and use that money for something else.

Or sell it cheap as is.

Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
    Why not get ahold of Korth, get the mark 5 fixed or replaced, then sell it and use that money for something else.

Or sell it cheap as is.
    It’s already been repaired and I have it back. I’m going to keep using it, but I have a second rifle I’m putting together.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

I'm curious why you think the scope will fail again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    Taking in all considerations, weight, fov, ruggedness, elevation adjustment, glass quality… whatever else I can’t think of at the moment. What’s your guys thoughts on the ideal backpack mountain scope?

I think the leupold vx3hd model with a 30mm tube and windplex reticle would be a good contender. I own a vx5 3-15 that’s a really nice scope, but I’ve barely used it and the erectors broke. From what I understand this is likely to happen again. I’m going to keep it and keep using it, but I have another project on the go in 7saum and I’ll need to put some glass on it.

One of the features I like about the leupold is the zero lock.

The Swarovski Z5 3.5-18X 44 mm BT 4W would be my recommendation. It’s lightweight, has a 1” tube, its ballistic turret allows you to preset 3 rings on the dial for distances past your zero, and the 4W reticle has windage hash marks like the Leupold Windplex. Once you figure out the ballistics of your particular load you can order a custom dial to replace the rings on the ballistic turret.
    The Swarovski has a ‘zero lock’ as well in that it doesn’t turn past your zero once you have set it.
    It is comparable in price to the same magnification in the Leupold VX-5 but weighs a few ounces less.

Quote Originally Posted by Wood butcher View Post
    I'm curious why you think the scope will fail again.
    Reading a few other forums and hearing other people’s experience. I read a few reviews on erectors breaking before I bought mine, but thought it was a low odds thing that likely wouldn’t happen to me. The people who said they had theirs break said they broke again and again. Like I said, I’m going to keep using it to see what happens, but I’m not buying another one.

How 'bout a Leica Amplus 6, 3-18x44i ... its slightly heavier than the VX5HD but its a pretty solid optic.

I personally haven't had any problems with my VX3HD's, VX5HD's or VX6HD's...is there a serial number range where problems were occurring?

Long range and lightweight don't belong in the same sentence. Sorry to burst anyone's bubble but it's just the way it is.

Zeiss V4 will be the best all around and still perform as needed.
    Last edited by 300rum700; 04-20-2024 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    I think the leupold vx3hd model with a 30mm tube and windplex reticle would be a good contender.
    What do you define as *long range*? This scope has the CDS ZL and limits you to dialing up past 15MOA, which will be 700 yards or less with a 7SAUM
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004