Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best long range/lightweight rifle scope?

Re: Best long range/lightweight rifle scope?

So far, I have Bushnell LRHS/LRTS and Arken EPL’s on light weight rifles (Kimbers) that get shot out to 1000 yards regularly. And treated harshly. Nothing has failed to hold zero and has tracked repeatedly. Neither of which the Leupolds that were originally on those rifles could do.
    Only Leupold I still use is on a light 22 rimfire.

I’ll pay the weight penalty of a 20+ ounce scope to KNOW that the rounds are going to go where they are supposed to.

Rokslide has a very extensive thread on scopes, 100’s of scopes with thousands of rounds under them, with extreme drop tests in between. One or two models of Nightforce survived, as well as the SWFA. Worth looking at.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

The best compromise in a lightweight hunting/long range shooting scope is the Leupold VX3 HD 4.5-14x40 CDS-ZL 30mm tube scope,
    next in the lightweight class would be the VX5 HD 3-15x44, my favourite which imho is one of the best and toughest scopes for the money Zeiss V4 4-16x44.
    Last edited by Weatherby Fan; 04-20-2024 at 01:26 PM.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    What do you define as *long range*? This scope has the CDS ZL and limits you to dialing up past 15MOA, which will be 700 yards or less with a 7SAUM
    Yeah, that’s where I’m looking at. My other gun I built is a 6.5-284. I built my expectations around 600 yards and maybe pushing slightly further on a good day. I chose the cartridge based on a 6.5-140 grain accubond travelling above 1700 fps at kill distance. There is other bullets out there that’ll do the job out further, but I figured that’s a good baseline. I think that’s reasonable for a sub 6 pound gun
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

I’m going to start narrowing down the Zeiss line. I tried to go through the lineup before but had a hard time narrowing down the features I was looking for.

NF would be nice but the only scope remotely light enough is only 10x zoom.

I’ve never seen an Arken… I’ll have to check them out.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

light weight is an issue?

how much water do you pack ?
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

Quote Originally Posted by Squire View Post
    The Swarovski Z5 3.5-18X 44 mm BT 4W would be my recommendation. It’s lightweight, has a 1” tube, its ballistic turret allows you to preset 3 rings on the dial for distances past your zero, and the 4W reticle has windage hash marks like the Leupold Windplex. Once you figure out the ballistics of your particular load you can order a custom dial to replace the rings on the ballistic turret.
    The Swarovski has a ‘zero lock’ as well in that it doesn’t turn past your zero once you have set it.
    It is comparable in price to the same magnification in the Leupold VX-5 but weighs a few ounces less.
    Not sure why Swaro went with the 1" tube for N.A. market, that fact turned fans away
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

Quote Originally Posted by high horse Hal View Post
    light weight is an issue?

how much water do you pack ?
    1 litre max most of the time… lol. I could leave some booze at home if I was really concerned about weight though.

The Zeiss v4 4-16-44 or 50 definitely looks like direct competition for the leupold vx3 or vx5