Thread: Early Season Lake Fishing Question

Early Season Lake Fishing Question

So I don't have much experience fishing larger lakes soon after ice-off, but I have heard that during that time, often the thermocline will be higher in the water column, which will lead to fish, primarily trout, being higher in the water, often near the surface. Can any on here attest to this? Thanks in advance.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Early Season Lake Fishing Question

Yes they are until the lake turns over. It can be fantastic fishing as the ice is coming off. One time a buddy and my self hit it just right at Kakawa lake (close to Hope). When we got there in the morning there was just a small open water area in the centre of the lake, but it was clear the ice was coming off. There were fish surfacing on the surface in the open water. The ice was quite slushy and we were able to plow our way through to the ever enlarging open water where we saw the fish were feeding on emerging chrome's, we just happened to have the right one and we did really well, the lake was completely ice free by the time we left.
    Last edited by ACB; 04-05-2024 at 11:05 AM. Reason: add to answer

if you get the timing right it is often the best fishing of the year....even when the ice sheet is deteriorating on lake, but the shorelines or bays have opened, i've had some special days then
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

Quote Originally Posted by ACB View Post
    Yes they are until the lake turns over. It can be fantastic fishing as the ice is coming off. One time a buddy and my self hit it just right at Kakawa lake (close to Hope). When we got there in the morning there was just a small open water area in the centre of the lake, but it was clear the ice was coming off. There were fish surfacing on the surface in the open water. The ice was quite slushy and we were able to plow our way through to the ever enlarging open water where we saw the fish were feeding on emerging chrome's, we just happened to have the right one and we did really well, the lake was completely ice free by the time we left.
    That's awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by BRvalley View Post
    if you get the timing right it is often the best fishing of the year....even when the ice sheet is deteriorating on lake, but the shorelines or bays have opened, i've had some special days then
    OK awesome good to know...

What is the normal amount of time that a lake will turn over after ice off? Or does matter what size and depth the lake is, small lake compared to large lake?

every lake is different, larger lakes take longer to start turnover, and longer to finish the process typically....local weather influences it, sun, rain, wind

the magic temp is 39 F, when water is it's most densest...so whenever the surface layer hits that it'll start to turn....the oxygen levels are dispersed throughout the entire water column as it turns, so fish activity typically slows, but if you know the location of springs and creek inflows might still find some hot fishing

typically I'd guess most likes start 1-3 weeks after ice off, and will take 3-5 days, but that's just a broad generalization, every lake is different, and it's different every year depending on weather
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

My best fishing is on a relatively small, shallow lake high in the alpine, above 1,000 meters. Ice doesn't come off until late spring. One would think that fish wouldn't survive the winter since it's so shallow. There is one deeper spot though & aside from being fed by snow melt, it has many springs bubbling up that I've found in the shallows. Full of brook & rainbow trout. I've found fishing not that good early in the summer shortly after ice off due to turbidity from runoff. The water is crystal clear once the snow is gone & the fish go nuts for small spinning lures like mepps & panther martins. I used to fly fish there but I'd never catch near as many as when I switched to the spinning tackle.