Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Interested in new calibre

Re: Interested in new calibre

Quote Originally Posted by moosinaround View Post
    custom barrelled 303 british? mighty fine cart. classic!! moosin
    A guy I shoot with has a ruger no1 in 303 Brit. It’s been completely worked over and the action smoothed out.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Nobody going to bring up the 270 on steroids - 6.8 Western?...
    Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets...

I'd put more focus on the rifle and scope than the caliber, 243/25-06/6.5cm/308/270 are all pretty much in the same ballpark if you're hunting like a normal person. In other words I'd suggest you keep your options open on the caliber and hunt for a real bargain on the rifle/scope combo.

You could always go "Old School" 257 Roberts or 250 3000 or 7x57 there is something to be said for the older experienced calibers. They are not as common anymore but nice to own a piece of history instead of the the new flavour of the week.

6.5CM in a Tikka. Easy choice.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    I'd put more focus on the rifle and scope than the caliber, 243/25-06/6.5cm/308/270 are all pretty much in the same ballpark if you're hunting like a normal person. In other words I'd suggest you keep your options open on the caliber and hunt for a real bargain on the rifle/scope combo.
    I'm taking this advice. I'm waiting to see how my taxes boil down but I've been wanting a lighter rifle. I pondered greatly over caliber. I think I would prefer a 6.5 CM just to mess around with it. But, after much reading - and shooting 270 (my go to), 308 (my fun BLR), and a 243 (Savage 110 - I bought cheaply in case my son wants to come with me but I don't really like the gun and will probably sell sometime soon. caliber is fine - gun kind of tinny) - I have realized that at real hunting ranges they are all pretty competitive.

Yes, someone is going to jump on here and extol the benefits of the 308 over the 270 or 7mm08 over the 243 - but in real life they will all get the job done for real people at reasonable hunting ranges.

For my personal needs - HappyJack for the win.

280 Ackley Improved. You might even be able to get one of your Tikka's re-barreled or rechambered depending on what they already are. 7mm performance out of a smaller cartridge.

7-08 or .270 would be my choice.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

+1 for the 7mm-08 but only if you reload. factory bullets really are poor for this cartridge, but handloaded you should be able to get a 140 ttsx going 2900+. Also staball 6.5 shows promise of getting a 150 ttsx (proven moose medicine) going 2850+, but the stuff could be pixie dust... have not had the time to try it yet. Maybe somebody else who has could correct me.

I only saw one other person mention the 280. It is basically the 7mm magnum without the kick. It is a hard caliber to find though so probably only good if you reload. If you do, as the other person mentioned, the newer 280 ackley improved is a great caliber.