Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Interested in new calibre

Re: Interested in new calibre

I would take a serious look at some of the newer PRC calibers. They are fantastic from a ballistics perspective and ammunition is quite easily obtainable. I also think these are calibers that are going to be around for quite some time, opposed to other "fad" calibers that are quick do die off after a few years. 6.5PRC, 7MM PRC and 300PRC all good choices.

If you currently shoot a 7mm rem mag and want something a little bit lighter, the 6.5PRC would be a good bet. If you take a look at ballistic tables you will see the 7 rem mag has more energy at the muzzle than a 6.5prc will, but that the 6.5 will hold its energy a lot better and take over the 7mm energy wise at a certain distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacktail View Post
    the 270 was originally based around the 130-140 grain pill
    The 280 does that same ballistic uniform but with heavier 150-160 grain pills
    I have owned and shot both over the last 40 years
    Come back and have a constructive conversation when you have done the same
    Nope, haven't have two years to explain basic math to you.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

anything a 270 can do the 280 does just a little bit better.
    Except for being available at pretty much any tiny supply store in the middle of nowhere when you forget to pack your ammo, and only realize your mistake when you are long gone from civilization.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

I have four of these and in mine I get the same performance as a 7 mag with half the recoil.
    It is this statement MRP challenged and I agree with him that this is physically impossible (as in physics).
    See post #50 by todbartell
    The 280 is a great cartridge but doesn’t rate the hyperbole.

JacK O'conner used a 270 on many of his sheep hunts. My son hunted sheep with a 270 husquvarna. I had a 270 as well but always favored my 7mm mag husquvarna for sheep and other big game.
    Then later when the 280 came out , ol' Jack O' took a shining to it, said he liked the heavier loads for some game

I think any common caliber is so close together any difference will be a figment of your imagination
    even less difference to the target critter, dead is dead
    Last edited by high horse Hal; 04-10-2024 at 07:39 AM.
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

You said new caliber so why not get a modern (new) caliber. Look at 6.5 prc.

Quote Originally Posted by Pooh View Post
    Biggest reason? Look at how hard it is to find ammunition for a WSM.

I personally wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole for that reason alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Elk_Valley_Hunter View Post
    I would take a serious look at some of the newer PRC calibers. They are fantastic from a ballistics perspective and ammunition is quite easily obtainable. I also think these are calibers that are going to be around for quite some time, opposed to other "fad" calibers that are quick do die off after a few years. 6.5PRC, 7MM PRC and 300PRC all good choices.

If you currently shoot a 7mm rem mag and want something a little bit lighter, the 6.5PRC would be a good bet. If you take a look at ballistic tables you will see the 7 rem mag has more energy at the muzzle than a 6.5prc will, but that the 6.5 will hold its energy a lot better and take over the 7mm energy wise at a certain distance.
    I agree with the recommendation but the 7mm shooting 165 gr or equivalent bullets are so close to the same ballistic co efficiencies as the 6.5 mm I don’t think it gains an advantage at less than about a km or so, if at all

Quote Originally Posted by Pooh View Post
    If I was in the market, there are 100s of new to me cartridges out there. The new stuff on the market stuff does little to excite me and most do very little to make a difference in performance eather.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

Seeing a vote for the .303 I'll chime in with mine for the .300 Savage.

Its my go to in the BT woods