Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Goat information, first hunt

Goat information, first hunt

I think i'm goin on my first Goat hunt with a buddy in Oct. I have zero experience with Goats.

Anybody got some good tips and sources of info on em?

They rut in November from what I gather, how are they acting come October?

Edit: Scouting tips welcome too, we will be scouting several times over summer. I know it depends so much on the specific area, feed and snowpack a place sees but are they generally at or not to far from where they will be in August come Oct that sort of thing general behavioural info

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by TheObserver; 05-07-2024 at 06:28 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Goat information, first hunt

In the EK mu I hunt goats in, never hard to find them in Oct. Finding them is probably the easiest part of it all. Getting to them in another matter all together.

The big billies are still often off by themselves, and in more difficult to reach spots.

The best tip I can offer is get in shape. Do allot of steep hill training with weight. When you think you are in good enough shape, get in better shape. I can't overemphasize this.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 05-07-2024 at 06:10 AM.

There's a book called "A Beast the Color of Winter" has lots of great info

A good source of info, but unfortunately most are tough to find, are books by Duncan Gilchrist
    Like Hunt High, Journal of a High Country Hunter, Hunting the Rocky Mountain Goat

you're scouting trips wil be invaluable to help you along, plan several during the season with tags in pocket
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

What area are you going?

I got my first goat August 15th, they do what goats do, chill in the cliffs. I got lucky and he came down to feed as we got within 300 yards. Lucked out.

Get in the best shape you can, I find the best way is to actually hike the mountains rather than simulating on a treadmill or the like, not possible for everyone I guess. If you see multiple goats together especially early season you can most likely pass. I tend to focus on north facing slopes places that look almost impossible to access, any solo goats in those areas are worth a closer look. Finding higher alpine lakes/ponds surrounded by cliffy terrain has yielded me goats as well

Groups of goats are usually Nannie’s and kids, or young billies. Keyword, USUALLY. I shot my last goat on October 15th a couple years ago, he was in a group of 6 Billie’s. He was a tad over 10” on both sides, scored 49 6/8 and was 9 years old. So make sure you take a good look at any goats you see. The obvious curvature of the horns all the way thru. Vs curved at the tops for Nannie’s. Take a close look at the bases, if they look like they are almost touching, probably worth a closer look. I’ve found if you find a billy that has a yellow tint to his hide, probably worth a closer look. Good luck.

I hate goat hunting... lol
    WSSBC Life Member

A few webinars put out by rmga and spikecamp that might be helpful, lots of good info discussed in them.

scouting early season, will change a lot by October. Come October billys will start to move, if you see them during the summer / early season, good chance they’ll be moved on in October.

If you have any billy vs nanny questions, feel free to holler. If your on IG by chance, I have a pile of content over there that may help. Always happy to forward some handfuls of photos for your own knowledge and testing if you like.

Hoping to get out this weekend to pull goat cams, and maybe see a new kid or two.