Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thanks BCWF

Thanks BCWF

Just a big thanks to BCWF and Jesse Zeman for the hard work they do. Great presentation about the mule deer study at the outdoor show in Chilliwack today….cheers

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Thanks BCWF

For those of us who weren't there -- what'd they have to say about the mule deer study?

Good to hear it went well.
    Was chatting with JZ just before he had to leave to his presentation.
    Been quite a while since we talked.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

The big take-aways for me are:1. that there is now scientific evidence that hunters are not the reason for mule deer mortality….predators (primarily bears and cougars) are responsible for a large percentage of new-born md deaths. 2. The increase of resource based roads through md habitat have given predators, not hunters, easier access to md populations 3. BC Government spending over the past many years….all governments, not just the current government, have failed to make wildlife conservation and study a priority. We are significantly behind and rely on public opinion rather than scientific data.
    All of this information is anecdotally known by many of us, however, now we have scientific evidence to support these theories

There was a lot more content in his presentation that was based on PHD studies of three people supported by BCWF and many others…

Quote Originally Posted by jetstar View Post
    The big take-aways for me are:1. that there is now scientific evidence that hunters are not the reason for mule deer mortality….predators (primarily bears and cougars) are responsible for a large percentage of new-born md deaths. 2. The increase of resource based roads through md habitat have given predators, not hunters, easier access to md populations 3. BC Government spending over the past many years….all governments, not just the current government, have failed to make wildlife conservation and study a priority. We are significantly behind and rely on public opinion rather than scientific data.
    All of this information is anecdotally known by many of us, however, now we have scientific evidence to support these theories

There was a lot more content in his presentation that was based on PHD studies of three people supported by BCWF and many others…
    Did money need to be spent to have this conclusion? No knew this years ago. As well now that they already know what was already known..??? Has anything changed?
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Quote Originally Posted by horshur View Post
    Did money need to be spent to have this conclusion? No knew this years ago. As well now that they already know what was already known..??? Has anything changed?
    What has changed is that there is some good solid science to help sway the political gods. Politicians and bureaucrats like having something finite to base decisions on. Not that I’m holding out much hope but at least there is more ammunition to further the cause.

Sadly, Wildlife is at the absolute bottom of the list of government priorities.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

Exactly right labguy….your and my anecdotal “evidence” means nothing to politicians….but hopefully this kind of study will. We gotta learn how to play the game and beat them at it����

Quote Originally Posted by labguy View Post
    What has changed is that there is some good solid science to help sway the political gods. Politicians and bureaucrats like having something finite to base decisions on. Not that I’m holding out much hope but at least there is more ammunition to further the cause.

Sadly, Wildlife is at the absolute bottom of the list of government priorities.
    That’s right….’we think’ vs ‘we know’.

The biggest problem is that the people who control the govt(the controllers of the mega-corporations) don’t want us to be able to feed ourselves. That’s as obvious as the noses on our faces.

If you don’t think the above is true, look at Bill 36 that was passed last winter in the legislature.
    We (you) now have medical communism in B.C.
    Healthcare workers are now ‘officially’ muzzled.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

It was not anecdotal. The Grizzly data wasn't either.
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    The biggest problem is that the people who control the govt(the controllers of the mega-corporations) don’t want us to be able to feed ourselves. That’s as obvious as the noses on our faces.
    ^^^^

Poor management --> "justified enforced LEH/closures" doing the same with the fishing

They are even trying to ban certain herbs and natural health products.... quite clear at this point. Less people on the landscape is another one you will hear a lot which a lot of these man made burns and land act amendments and undrip will be playing big roles in, Eat ze bugs
    Last edited by TheObserver; 03-26-2024 at 03:24 AM.