Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cwd

Re: Cwd

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post
    In high populated areas the road kill is sad to see. I’ve hit 3 deer this winter and close call with a few more. There’s constantly moose deee and elk in the ditch up here
    F**k really me or the old man have never hit anything, watch now i'll end up hittin somethin this year lol.

Perhaps I shouldn't be so surprised, last year at a mulie wintering range I think we seen 11 deer (iirc) hit on the side of the roads in the 4 or 5 days we were there, lot of drivers licenses bein handed out these days and the people aint even doing the driving tests. Pretty rampant down here anyhow.

I also drive truck in the oil field , so lots of farmland and forest driving so probably why my odds go up.

last week the last one i hit was consumed by ravens within 11 hours I couldn’t believe it

The experiences shared on this thread are proof that we need substantial funding allocated towards wildlife overpasses. Heck, I'll bet ICBC would support it if their executives have more than 2 brain cells to rub together.. as stated by others on this site, it was only a matter of time before we'd see cwd in BC. Given the roadkill samples along with the hunter submitted samples, is a kill of 25 really necessary, or they just looking for yet another way to further appease a FNs group?

Killing more deer to get additional samples is something that I have seen in other jurisdictions, and in those cases the numbers were quite a bit higher than 25. I have also seen the respective game departments pay FN's hunters to kill the extra deer and elk they wanted for sampling.

Like it or not, you are going to see some big changes as the issue with CWD becomes front and centre in this province. If our game managers follow the practices used elsewhere there will be a big increase in the deer harvests in affected areas and mandatory sample submissions, etc.
    Everyone is entitled to voicing an opinion, as long as it is a learned one.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Quote Originally Posted by Retiredguy View Post
    Killing more deer to get additional samples is something that I have seen in other jurisdictions, and in those cases the numbers were quite a bit higher than 25.

I have also seen the respective game departments pay FN's hunters to kill the extra deer and elk they wanted for sampling.

Like it or not, you are going to see some big changes as the issue with CWD becomes front and centre in this province. If our game managers follow the practices used elsewhere there will be a big increase in the deer harvests in affected areas and mandatory sample submissions, etc.

Where?
    I am not aware of a single one.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips;[URL="tel:2439271"
    2439271[/URL]], is a kill of 25 really necessary, or they just looking for yet another way to further appease a FNs group?
    I submitted a head from the area in question. Shortly after the news of positive cases I received a request for information on the exact kill location (even though it was negative). My guess is they are trying to further define the area of concern and make a guess as to exactly how prevalent it is. Just a wild assed guess.

Hmmm. Dont think I’d want to eat a CWD infected deer .Are people eating them ? If I’m not mistaken there is a very stringent set of sanitation, sterilization , disinfection protocol for those that process these animals . I need to investigate !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Quote Originally Posted by Elkaddict View Post
    I submitted a head from the area in question. Shortly after the news of positive cases I received a request for information on the exact kill location (even though it was negative). My guess is they are trying to further define the area of concern and make a guess as to exactly how prevalent it is. Just a wild assed guess.
    Yes you're right. On the BC gov site, going forward they are asking for the coordinates to the location of harvest.

"In response to two recent detections of Chronic Wasting Disease in the Kootenays, we are requesting specific harvest locations for the deer that were harvested in the 2023/2024 season. This information will help us get a better picture of the distribution of negative and positive cases. Harvest locations will be kept confidential."

Quote Originally Posted by superdrupal View Post
    Yes you're right. On the BC gov site, going forward they are asking for the coordinates to the location of harvest.

"In response to two recent detections of Chronic Wasting Disease in the Kootenays, we are requesting specific harvest locations for the deer that were harvested in the 2023/2024 season. This information will help us get a better picture of the distribution of negative and positive cases. Harvest locations will be kept confidential."
    This is what they need when a specific animal tests positive, as they want an exact location in order to test further animals in the immediate area. I know this can be a contentious issue, as I have heard all of the concerns expressed by hunters and landowners in other places I have hunted/lived. Typically game departments go in and try to drastically reduce the animals in the area where there appears to be a "hotspot". If it happens to be a favourite hunting location for you, or it is where you farm/ranch and hunt, the thoughts of most of the ungulates getting hammered does not sit well. Obviously the idea is to try and control the spread, but you cannot change human nature, and it is not uncommon for hunters submitting heads to give false harvest locations...just incase it comes back positive, as they do not want their honey hole or home range pounded.

I am not saying I agree with this, just saying why some people get very concerned about giving out exact coordinates. In the end we all have to remember that a battle is being fought against a very serious problem and no one has come up with a magic fix so far. One thing is for sure, CWD is continuing to spread and it is going to have a very negative impact on all of us.
    Everyone is entitled to voicing an opinion, as long as it is a learned one.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Quote Originally Posted by Retiredguy View Post
    If it happens to be a favourite hunting location for you, or it is where you farm/ranch and hunt, the thoughts of most of the ungulates getting hammered does not sit well. Obviously the idea is to try and control the spread, but you cannot change human nature, and it is not uncommon for hunters submitting heads to give false harvest locations...just incase it comes back positive, as they do not want their honey hole or home range pounded.
    Good points for sure. I thought that supplying mandatory coordinates may result in some push back. I'm sure we all want what's best but as you've mentioned, some people will be hesitant. Maybe a happy balance would have been to supply the exact location of harvest after a confirmed positive case.