Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Budget Backpacking Tent

Budget Backpacking Tent

I’m preparing to do some overnight backpacking trips for the first time this year. What are some backpacking tents that you guys would recommend that won’t break the bank? Let’s say sub $300 or so. I’m currently looking at the Eureka Suma or Midori 2P.

Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Budget Backpacking Tent

Love my 3F ul gear lanshan 2 pro

MEC spark they make decent tents. It’s on sale at the moment too

Quote Originally Posted by savage10 View Post
    I’m preparing to do some overnight backpacking trips for the first time this year. What are some backpacking tents that you guys would recommend that won’t break the bank? Let’s say sub $300 or so. I’m currently looking at the Eureka Suma or Midori 2P.

Thanks
    Need more info on the style of tent. 1 or 2 man? freestanding or trekking pole? 3 season or 4 season?

Tents are a key piece of the backcountry set up. Cheap will work for a portion of time but it will fail at some point. Hopefully, it doesn't fail when its required. Good tents cost 2 or 3 times your budget.

I would bump that $300 budget up a bit and get a Durston tent. Solid tents, maybe by a guy from BC that knows our back country. Can't go wrong with them.

If you’re not picky on brand than I’d watch some of the big box stores for a sale. I haven’t purchased anything from atmosphere in quite awhile, but they used to have good sales and offer a friends and family event once in awhile with a big discount off on almost the whole store. Our local atmosphere closed a few years ago, but they also had a sale rack in the back with some steep discounts on good stuff.

I’ve had an msr elixir for quite a few years and it’s been good to me in all kinds of weather, but it’s a bit on the heavy side. It’s a budget tent that works and I’m still using it even though I have several others. I think you’ll find most of the tents in the same price range are probably made out of similar material with similar designs, especially in the budget stuff. More of a ford vs Chev thing. I’ve seen lots of different tents out in the backcountry and I’ve never really heard too many complaints about the tents people are staying in. Marmot, msr, big Agnes, I think they’re all probably good.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Marmot Nitro 2P (green tent on right). Decent quality and price, says it can fit 2 ppl, though I'd say 1 comfortably. And it's light, use a hiking pole as your primary pole to cut down on weight, I believe it's under 2 lbs..

[IMG][/IMG]

Aquaquest siltarp from Amazon. 13x10 (which is HUGE), is plenty of room to stay dry, and yardsale your life under it. Packed down it's about the size of a big Nalgene. $189.

I also have a dyneema tarp, I forget the brand, it's a 7x9? Deadly for a quick camp. Much lighter than the aquaquest. Packs to the size of a fist. This was a "oh, I should take a picture!" Moment in the morning, so it would typically have been pitched tighter.

Last edited by Squamch; 03-07-2024 at 07:17 AM.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post
    MEC spark they make decent tents. It’s on sale at the moment too
    Agreed. MEC price / quality is hard to beat.
    Just like hiking boots, don't cheap out on a tent, you'll regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
    Love my 3F ul gear lanshan 2 pro
    This right here.

Quote Originally Posted by N¡ck View Post
    ...Just like hiking boots, don't cheap out on a tent, you'll regret it.
    This is SOLID advice, buy once cry once, trust me I know from experience.
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education