Thread: Twin Lakes - Cherryville

Twin Lakes - Cherryville

Hey gents,

Has anyone ever hunted Twin Lakes area outside of Cherryville? Looks like a great area for a hike and thought an overnighter hunt in October would be a good time. Not looking for honey holes, just if anyone knows if there might be mulies up there in early October. Feel free to PM me. Thanks in advance for any tips you can provide!

Cheers!
    If I'm not back in five minutes... just wait longer.
    -Ace Ventura

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Twin Lakes - Cherryville

Don't waste your time! Beautiful area to hike through. It was an incredible area in the 70's to 90's. Logging and predation have drastically changed the game... pun intended.
    Alpine Addict
    Big Buck Enthusiast
    Sick with the Sheep Bug
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    @hunter.cr

Never checked out Twin Lakes but I spend a fair amount of time fishing & hunting further south. I've encountered all manner of critters at elevations up to about 1700 meters. The weather can turn fast leading into October, snow not uncommon at higher elevations. Not much success hunting so far, a few close encounters with both mule & whitetail deer. I've done better fishing at a favourite alpine lake I frequent. Have also spotted black bear & moose. It's a known grizzly habitat but I've yet to encounter one of those bad boys (girls). Some years ago I heard howling wolves but never spotted any. I end up seeing more deer just off Hwy 6 on the way in/out of the area, beginning to think it's better to hunt lower elevation, much lower .

This photo taken from above the lake I like to fish shows the Pinnacles in the distance. Despite the elevation the timber gets thick once off any FSR or hiking trail. Would be challenging to extract a deer from too far in. I've hiked to the top of the hill above the cut block on the other side of the lake. Found game trails with sign but the only sighting I had was a mere 50 meters after getting out of my truck when I bumped a couple whitetail does.

Here's a GE view showing the area & my track up/down the hill. The upper cut block is relatively new & not shown here. It's an easier hike now as they pushed the logging road up to log it.
    Last edited by mike31154; 03-02-2024 at 05:24 PM.

Thanks for the detailed input! It’s a bit far from home to do a quick daytrip to scout it so may just have to head up there in October and hope for the best
    If I'm not back in five minutes... just wait longer.
    -Ace Ventura

Quote Originally Posted by upcomer View Post
    Thanks for the detailed input! It’s a bit far from home to do a quick daytrip to scout it so may just have to head up there in October and hope for the best
    If you strike out up there, just take your Russian phrase book and head south to join the madness in Christian Valley. Cherryville area is a great area to camp, so go enjoy. You might get lucky!
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

There's also the option of continuing east on Hwy 6 beyond the Monashee Pass & you'll be in Region 4. The farther you go, the more remote things get, until you start heading down to the Fauquier/Needles ferry. There are elk herds in that area.