Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Meat hauler frame

Re: Meat hauler frame

I use a old “Dana Design Shortbed” it works actually pretty good ... did what you have mentioned .. removed the pack and attached my day pack to it.
    The guy that started it ... went on to make the Mystery Ranch packs ... so you’ll know abit about the quality ... Rokslide mentions it ... and if you can find one it will not cost very much.

Thanks for the replies guys I will check those out forsure, I should have been more specific though, just a metal frame with a load shelf basically but lookin for some of the better ones out there. Somethin like this all metal frame but ideally not sticking up passed my neck I hate getting caught on branches. Already have a kifaru pack, but I like the all metal ones as well just for the day and tie a dry bag to it, my kifaru seems very loud like the straps/back especially when i'm wearing synthetics I have to figure something out with it... sneaking up on anything wise when its making that noise ain't going to happen I think was actually going to make a thread about that and see if anyone else has the same issue

I'd probably just get the eberlestock mainframe. inexpensive route. don't know how the shoulder straps and hip belts feel but it's easy enough to upgrade them yourself.
    I've completely upgraded all the foam on my stone glacier x curve, and my kifaru tactical frame.

There’s five I can think of off the top of my head. Already mentioned are Barney’s , Cabela’s Alaskan guide, and Camptrails. Then there’s the Tatonka and Bullpac. You’d probably get tired of the fixed shelf on the Tetonka pretty quick. The bullpac might be a viable option if you can find one.

If it is designed to carry a big load It might be a challenge finding something below shoulder height.

where is the noise coming from on your Kifaru? If it’s not the suspension may be taking off the bag and using a cargo panel will suit your needs? The frames have changed a lot since the original. Probably a lot stiffer now. The cargo panel can carry a wicked load.
    Last edited by Elkaddict; 02-26-2024 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by madcalfe View Post
    I'd probably just get the eberlestock mainframe. inexpensive route. don't know how the shoulder straps and hip belts feel but it's easy enough to upgrade them yourself.
    I've completely upgraded all the foam on my stone glacier x curve, and my kifaru tactical frame.
    I think I will need to do this to my kifaru duplex lite frame because of the noise issue, added comfort would be a bonus

Quote Originally Posted by Elkaddict View Post
    There’s five I can think of off the top of my head. Already mentioned are Barney’s , Cabela’s Alaskan guide, and Camptrails. Then there’s the Tatonka and Bullpac. You’d probably get tired of the fixed shelf on the Tetonka pretty quick. The ballpark might be a viable option if you can find one.

If it is designed to carry a big load It might be a challenge finding something below shoulder height.

where is the noise coming from on your Kifaru? If it’s not the suspension may be taking off the bag and using a cargo panel will suit your needs? The frames have changed a lot since the original. Probably a lot stiffer now. The cargo panel can carry a wicked load.
    Your probably right about the shoulder height design hadn't thought of that.

Thanks i'll be checkin the suggestions out for sure.

Noise I believe is coming from the padding on the straps behind my back, I will take the bag off though and see if the noise still persists but I think it is coming from the padding back there or the frame

It has been decades since I back packed, but but when I took the family, I bought a new Camptrails, I had an original Camptrails which my wife used . The new squishy comfortable hip belt was useless for load transfer. You can pack more on a good external frame, but it can also throw you off balance. From that experience , I would suggest you check out the hip belt.That is what carries 90% of the weight.