Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Up For Discussion: (Proposal) Apply 6 pt antler restriction to west Kootenay bow only

Re: Up For Discussion: (Proposal) Apply 6 pt antler restriction to west Kootenay bow

does anyone have the link to the proposed changes?

Re: Up For Discussion: (Proposal) Apply 6 pt antler restriction to west Kootenay bow

Quote Originally Posted by jackson13 View Post
    does anyone have the link to the proposed changes?

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/s...nting-trapping

Or another idea..why not remove crossbows during bow season instead, unless you have a medical waiver from a doctor? Like similar to what Alberta does.

Current regulation

4-8, 4-9, 4-14 to 4-19, 4-27 to 4-33,4-37 to 4-38 6 point bulls Sept 10 to Oct 5
    Bow only 4-1 to 4-9, 4-14 to 4-38, 4-40 Bulls Sept 1 to Sept 9
    Proposed regulation

4-8, 4-9, 4-14 to 4-19, 4-27 to 4-33,4-37 to 4-38 6 point bulls Sept 10 to Sept 30
    Bow Only 4-8, 4-9, 4-14 to 4-19, 4-27 to 4-33,4-37 to 4-38 6 point bulls Sept 1 to Sept 9
    Bow Only 4-1 to 4-7, 4-20 to 4-26, 4-34 to 4-36, 4-40 Bulls Sept 1 to Sept 9
    I only read shortening the rifle season 5 days and splitting somewhat the existing bow season. Area's like 4-03 where I go will get hammered even more. If your going to protect the elk, do it for the whole of reg 4
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steeleco View Post
    I only read shortening the rifle season 5 days and splitting somewhat the existing bow season. Area's like 4-03 where I go will get hammered even more. If your going to protect the elk, do it for the whole of reg 4
    I guess they are saying they only need to protect the elk in certain areas and in other areas they are in good shape.

Now elk would be in better shape if some guys learn how to count to 5.

Quote Originally Posted by stephane110 View Post
    Still don’t understand why they don’t just follow what the western states do for elk management with a long archery season only during the rut. Surely they know what they’re doing…Idaho is 5x smaller landmass than BC, but they spend 4x the money on their Fish and Wildlife. The table on page 3 of this report (2019) data compares our spends. Idaho has 107k elk, bc estimates between 15-40k.

https://bcwf.bc.ca/wp-content/upload...atResponse.pdf
    How many wolves, bears and other predators do they have in Idaho?? They are hunters too, 365 days per year, 24 hours per day.

Quote Originally Posted by grouse14 View Post
    How effective and what’s the thoughts on road closures? I just listened to a podcast where they talked about how they killed a koots bull from the truck mule deer style. I feel like Elk hunting shouldn’t be that easy.
    That works good for those that hunt from horses or are young enough to pack in on foot. Why not just say no elk hunting for those over 65, the handicapped, the overweight out of shape ones, heck toss in wimmin.

Quote Originally Posted by dapesche View Post
    I guess they are saying they only need to protect the elk in certain areas and in other areas they are in good shape.
    It will change in two years. Is their way of slowly taking more and more away. Its the same thing they have done with moose in region 6. If you read through the rationale it mentions "Concerns have also been raised regarding the potential for increased hunting pressure from licensed hunters due to moose hunting restrictions implemented in the Peace Region in 2022."

I also read that moose in portions of 7B LEH will go from tri, spike, 10 to any bull. They say this will increase the opportunities for moose to be taken. It notes that there has been an increase pressure on other ungulates in the area due to the moose restrictions placed in 2022. They're are lining up the Peace for more elk restrictions for 2026-2028 in my opinion!

To help me and others digest this proposal does anyone on here have the actual WK harvest and breakdown numbers? If not does anyone know if that is available through the Regional Office or would I have to go through a FOI request? Thanks