Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Up For Discussion: (Proposal) Apply 6 pt antler restriction to west Kootenay bow only

Re: Up For Discussion: (Proposal) Apply 6 pt antler restriction to west Kootenay bow

Should of just left it LEH like it was things were fine.

Re: Up For Discussion: (Proposal) Apply 6 pt antler restriction to west Kootenay bow

Perhaps a bit more forward thinking, and perhaps experimental for BC, would have been the extension of the archery season to say September 20. It’s pretty safe to expect the archery harvest to drop substanially so give the bowhunters a bit of the rut as a compromise. Oh hold on a second that wouldn’t be on the checklist as an option!

Someone needs to gather the data, crunch the numbers and prove that the regulation change will not effect the desired outcome.
    There will be lots of evidence available in the period after the last season shortening.

Without this foundational evidence, hunters will once again be asked to give up just a little bit more in a few years in place of a real solution.

Quote Originally Posted by PYGuy View Post
    Perhaps a bit more forward thinking, and perhaps experimental for BC, would have been the extension of the archery season to say September 20. It’s pretty safe to expect the archery harvest to drop substanially so give the bowhunters a bit of the rut as a compromise. Oh hold on a second that wouldn’t be on the checklist as an option!
    30% of the harvest could be cut back by eliminating the archery season completely, remove any allocations from the outfitters and there would be more available for the remaining BC Resident hunters. Probably not put forward as an option though.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    30% of the harvest could be cut back by eliminating the archery season completely, remove any allocations from the outfitters and there would be more available for the remaining BC Resident hunters. Probably not put forward as an option though.
    Personally not a fan of archery seasons even though I hunt with a bow. But this season kills all age classes of Bulls and is much better in long run for the herd then a trophy hunt that some stakeholders want. I also agree that we should not be allowing outfitters to hunt any species that there isn't enough animals to meet resident demand.

Quote Originally Posted by Everett View Post
    Personally not a fan of archery seasons even though I hunt with a bow. But this season kills all age classes of Bulls and is much better in long run for the herd then a trophy hunt that some stakeholders want. I also agree that we should not be allowing outfitters to hunt any species that there isn't enough animals to meet resident demand.
    Good points. I also am not a bow hunter (I have taken a nice whitetail buck with a bow, but it’s just not my thing), but I agree a more varied age of bull being harvested makes sense. I feel the same about the 4 point mule deer restriction. It doesn’t make sense to shoot only the biggest specimens.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Real issue is the predators and unlicensed kills, until we deal with that there will be less and less hunting opportunities, hunting will be gone before we know it

So what % of the 30% archery harvest were 6 point bulls. It wouldnt suprise me if a large number of bulls harvested in the archery season were 6 points. A 6 point restriction in the archery season may not reduce the harvest that much. Also how many of those unsuccessful bow hunters will pick up a rifle and harvest a bull in the GOS anyhow. Also reducing the season a week after the peak rut doesnt seem like the best way to reduce the harvest , reduce the season in the rut.

Originally Posted by HappyJack

Two things, first eliminating the archery season completley will just delay most of the archery 30% harvest to the GOS. Secondly I am a BC Resident who bowhunts archery seasons, so lets eliminate the GOS completley and have more available to the BC bowhunters………….now doesnt that sound reasonable ������������

Quote Originally Posted by Bullreaper View Post
    The jist of it was they had a 4 point season and it ended up killing off a lot of the mature bucks and then more and more 2 points and less mature bucks were showing up. They found that it was actually the younger bucks that were more susceptible to winter kill and much lower survival rates than the mature bucks.
    I am quoting you (sorry), but only to agree with what you’ve said. I’ve always maintained that they should let people hunt 2 and 3 point md and let the big boys take care of the breeding. I have never understood the supposed logic behind forcing people to shoot the mature bucks.
    Last edited by Redthies; 03-17-2024 at 11:20 AM.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.