Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Warm weather february elk

Re: Warm weather february elk

Quote Originally Posted by SSG-man View Post
    Ya true, and funny how politics and off topic gets blamed for the demise of site?
    [url=https://postimages.org/]
    I might point a contributor in the right direction particularly if I thought, or knew there were too many elk on someones farm that wanted them scared off but that would be about it.
    The EK is a prime example of everyone telling everyone where the Elk were, 20000 elk down to 4000…….
    If the world is warming why are there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why do you demand special treatment?

You can not comply your way out of tyranny.

Fire them ALL!

Most of the elk in that area are found on private land. That's the whole point of that draw, to knock down the population so farmers don't complain about the damage that large herds of elk can do to feed pastures. Best advice is drive through farm areas and look for tracks going through people's fields and knock on those doors with a gift in your hand.
    Member of the CCFR, but not a "Violent Extremist"

Quote Originally Posted by SSG-man View Post
    Ya true, and funny how politics and off topic gets blamed for the demise of site?
    I would look at the same issue the other way. It is the politics and off topic that has instilled life to the dying forum. I remember that 15-18 years ago, so many fishing forums booming. Now most of them are gone. The way to receive information has changed. However, people always love the politics.
    Life is too short and time goes too fast. Hunt, hunt, and hunt....

Thanks for the advice. I hit up some of the ranches and asked around and they all said the same thing. With the warm Temps and no snow the elk haven't been in the fields. I know what elk are up to in September and October. I have no idea what they are up to during February when there's green grass and feed everywhere.
    We eventually did find a little sign and will work that and see what comes of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorwash View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I hit up some of the ranches and asked around and they all said the same thing. With the warm Temps and no snow the elk haven't been in the fields. I know what elk are up to in September and October. I have no idea what they are up to during February when there's green grass and feed everywhere.
    We eventually did find a little sign and will work that and see what comes of it.
    The grass is not green it’s natural silage, it’s decomposing, the snow actually preserves it so it doesn’t decompose. I would find new cut blocks in the zone of the draw, check out fat map and find the new blocks, the elk eat browse just like moose and deer, they like young alder, aspen and willow. These deciduous trees grown in the warm winter sun. The peace is loaded with this type of Forest, be close to farm land or river valleys.

Fire them ALL!

Thanks all who helped. We eventually found some elk holed up in thick timber. It wasn't until the temperature got down below freezing that we started to find some fresh sign to get us in the right direction. Lots of miles on the boots and half a day to pack out. We had a blast.

Thanks all who helped. We eventually found some elk holed up in thick timber. It wasn't until the temperature got down below freezing that we started to find some fresh sign to get us in the right direction. Lots of miles on the boots and half a day to pack out. We had a blast.
    Excellent! Did the cow still have lots of fat on it?

Fire them ALL!

Right on congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Husky7mm View Post
    Excellent! Did the cow still have lots of fat on it?
    No fat at all on her.

Congrats - Any pictures?