Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Warm weather february elk

Warm weather february elk

I have a cow elk draw for 7-21. It's warm and there's no snow. Anyone have any tips or advice for finding them?

Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Warm weather february elk

night times your best bet id say ))))))

I believe it's called hunting, you need to hunt for them not ask people where they are and hold your hand

Quote Originally Posted by Gr8 white hunter View Post
    I believe it's called hunting, you need to hunt for them not ask people where they are and hold your hand
    Lol!!! .

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorwash View Post
    I have a cow elk draw for 7-21. It's warm and there's no snow. Anyone have any tips or advice for finding them?

Thanks
    Congratulations on your draw - Hopefully you will get lucky and get some snow in region 7, we just (finally) got a dump in 4.

Since the season is abnormally warm they should be in lower elevations than normal, hey? I have little (read: no) experience hunting elk and I'm curious how you would go about looking for cows in Feb. I can only think of the obvious of covering as much ground as possible while looking for sign / cow calling.

Let us know how your hunt turns out. Hopefully someone with experience in this will chip in.

You may also find Remi Warren's podcast "Live Wild" be helpful, he has 20+ years experience hunting elk and gives some good information

Cover as much ground as you can looking for fresh sign. Water sources and food sources are a good bet. These animals go wherever they want, you gotta find them yourself.

Usual tactic when we go to 7-20 is drive the roads until fresh sign is found, then go ask the landowner
    Gone are the days of just going to the local bar and buying a few rounds to get friendly info
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

Quote Originally Posted by Gr8 white hunter View Post
    It’s called a hunting forum where hunters share tips and discuss hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by bcsteve View Post
    It’s called a hunting forum where hunters share tips and discuss hunting.

Ya true, and funny how politics and off topic gets blamed for the demise of site?

I work on the east boundary and see lots of tracks here and there but I haven't seen much for animals standing in their tracks. Don't know how close you can hunt to the mine but the road to wolverine mine is a good option if you want to know what they look like.