Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Electric Fence for Bear Country

Re: Electric Fence for Bear Country

Hopefully it would get this fella to go the other way !
    https://youtube.com/shorts/CoqigF0uf...aL1q-M7YxlkN0M
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambush View Post
    I've been using a UDap portable electric fence for quite a few years. They absolutely do work. They work around your camp and they work around your meat pole or cache. They are the much preferred method for protection against the big bears in Alaska for a reason.
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Hopefully it would get this fella to go the other way !
    https://youtube.com/shorts/CoqigF0uf...aL1q-M7YxlkN0M
    Arctic Lake
    That’s a big bear. The thing I noticed is he’s still cautious walking up to the bait. The camera flash startles him two times. He’s definitely king of the jungle, but he probably got that way by being cautious. I guess the theory of bears not being nocturnal is blown to shit.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

I'd check on a bee keeping forum. Those guys will have a pretty good idea what works for bears.

Up around gang ranch empire valley area all the bee boxes had an electric fence around them..
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    Up around gang ranch empire valley area all the bee boxes had an electric fence around them..
    Same as here at home but I don't know what they are using but whatever it is it seems to work. I know my electric fencer don't keep the bears out but does keep the cows in.

Those electric fences work great, check YouTube,,theres experiments theyve done with wild grizzlies,,they dont like it at all

Great stuff here, how heavy are they, how long to they last on a charge, how do they react to cold and or wet conditions?
    Blacktailaholic

portable fencers that runs on D cell batteries are available and solar powered too. the trick is to run 2- or 3-wire fence with both +positive and -negative so contact is insured
    Relaying on the -neg ground coming through foot contact can be a problem

A cheap noise maker can be made with a $5 personal safety alarm and a long string, a cheap fly reel spooled up with flyline backing works good
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

We thought our fence wasnt working and the ground was too dry as we could touch it with no shock...we took our boots off and tried it in socks lol...wammo! It was working.
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

I'll weigh in as a bee keeper:

Electric fence works great for bears as long as they are trained to it. Normally, you want to smear the wire with peanut butter or drape bacon over it to encourage the bear to deliberately touch the wire - then it knows that that is the source of the shock. I'm unsure if this would be a great idea while out hunting though...

If you just hang up a few wires and the bear blunders into it though, it's as likely to run through it as run away and then end up in camp, likely pissed.

My electric fence did fail last year due to dry ground and the bears (sow and cubs) did get through in the night. After cleaning up, I hung a pack alarm up around the outside of the electric fence thinking at least it would wake me up so I could respond one way or another. Bears came back 3 times in 3 nights, set the alarm off every time and were nowhere to be found by the time I got outside.