Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Electric Fence for Bear Country

Re: Electric Fence for Bear Country

My son and I have purchased PackAlarm. The inventor and founder has retired. We have just launched our website and are open for business. If you are interested, our website address is www.packalarm.com
    Thanks
    Chuck
    WSS BC Monarch Member
    WSF Member
    BCWF Member
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Are you buying something to protect your camp while you’re not there? Or something to wake you up from a dead sleep if it enters your perimeter?

I’ve never used any kind of tent alarm yet, but I’d like to get one. I had a spring black bear shred my tent a couple years ago. Luckily he came in to camp just before I went to bed and we vacated the area and went home, if not it would’ve been ugly. That said, I’ve never had mid-season bear problems. There’s always that chance of running into a sick or wounded bear who’s desperate, but I probably wouldn’t worry too much about that.

I hang my food in a tree and dangle a bell below it in hopes that if I have a bear problem than he’ll go after my food first and in theory wake me up so I have a fighting chance to deal with him.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Quote Originally Posted by 264mag View Post
    My son and I have purchased PackAlarm. The inventor and founder has retired. We have just launched our website and are open for business. If you are interested, our website address is www.packalarm.com
    Thanks
    Chuck
    I've used the pack alarm for a few years now, they're great...

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    I hadn't heard of pine sol only heard it from him and he uses bleach, but I don't see why not i'm sure any harsh and or foul smelling chemical would work anything that takes you a back if he gets a whiff he will probably be like **** this lol (unless its rotting flesh)

They are now saying that a bear has the strongest nose on earth on land, imagine how strong some checmicals/odours would smell with a sniffer that strong, probably be unbearable
    I've heard bears can smell 7 times better than a bloodhound...

well, I've yet to use a pack alarm/ electric fence while sheep/goat hunting up north.
    If a bear wants in a electric fence won't do anything
    I just keep the 300 loaded and beside me at all times.

hang your food away from your tent, don't sleep by obvious game trails.

Thanks for all the great Comments we aren't going with a guide I will be hunter hosted with my BC Hunting partner and have done several back country trips, the fence would be for our basecamp while we are out on a Spike camp. I will definitely check it out "264mag"

Solar powered motion light, under a kg. Or something similar. Nice in any camp.

https://www.amazon.ca/Waterproof-Swi...02c8117f3&th=1
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

A friend of mine drops moth balls around his camp and the base of his meat pole.
    I have had bears black and griz come into camp at night and while we were away hunting, not fun.
    MM

A bloodhounds sense of smell is 300 times greater than a humans . A bears is 7 times greater than a bloodhound or 2100 times .
    Arctic Lake
    Last edited by Arctic Lake; 02-12-2024 at 10:51 AM.
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

I've been using a UDap portable electric fence for quite a few years. They absolutely do work. They work around your camp and they work around your meat pole or cache. They are the much preferred method for protection against the big bears in Alaska for a reason.
    I harvest carrots. I kill animals.