Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric Fence for Bear Country

Electric Fence for Bear Country

Hey Guys,
    Planning a Goat trip in your wonderful province this September and wondering what everyone is using if anything regarding Grizzly Bear Protection in their base Camp. I know the usual don't sleep with your meat food goes into a tree cache is trees are available. Thinking of getting some sort of electric fence.
    Thanks interested to hear everyone's input.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Electric Fence for Bear Country

Carrying a 12 v battery up a mountain can be cumbersome, I have several of those 12g shotgun trip alarms 6 to be exact, and make a perimeter around camp
    with them. I USE 12 G. flairs in a couple of them if the area is moist enough that they won't start fires. There are motion detection lights with siren alarms that also could be used.
    MM

I haven't looked at the 12G Trip alarms yet but I definitely will.
    Thanks Base camp will be within proximity of the lake on this trip so could manage the battery especially if it's my ice fishing Lithium.

PackAlarm .
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    PackAlarm .
    Arctic Lake
    I use these as well. But don't think they are available anymore.

yah looks like they aren't available anymore!

Some places I hunt there are Grizz but not much, tons of Blackies though, I just do the basics haven't had any incidents, an ex military buddy who does solo Elk every year in the Kootenays in heavy Grizz country takes a little container of bleach in his pack opens it up when he gets back to or sets up camp for the night, opens it leaves it at his tent or bivy. Gets an Elk pretty well every year and swears by this said hes never had a problem too powerful for their noses. Wouldn't hurt trying it

bears arent an issue generally speaking...its pretty rare event. Just listen to your guide
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    Some places I hunt there are Grizz but not much, tons of Blackies though, I just do the basics haven't had any incidents, an ex military buddy who does solo Elk every year in the Kootenays in heavy Grizz country takes a little container of bleach in his pack opens it up when he gets back to or sets up camp for the night, opens it leaves it at his tent or bivy. Gets an Elk pretty well every year and swears by this said hes never had a problem too powerful for their noses. Wouldn't hurt trying it
    I heard the same thing about pine sole?

Quote Originally Posted by swampthing View Post
    I heard the same thing about pine sole?
    I hadn't heard of pine sol only heard it from him and he uses bleach, but I don't see why not i'm sure any harsh and or foul smelling chemical would work anything that takes you a back if he gets a whiff he will probably be like **** this lol (unless its rotting flesh)

They are now saying that a bear has the strongest nose on earth on land, imagine how strong some checmicals/odours would smell with a sniffer that strong, probably be unbearable