Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly-in Boat Choices

Fly-in Boat Choices

Hi, Looking to replace my old zodiac inflatable for a fly in trip this year. I don't think its worth fixing up and is over 25 years old now. I have a 2.5hp Yamaha outboard that i need to be able to mount on anything i buy, and want something with a good weight capacity and around 10'. I was hoping for recommendations or comments on what guys are using and what they like. There are lots of options on the market these days and I am trying to compare some of the offshore brands with cheaper pricing to zodiacs or what i would have traditionally associated with high quality. This boat wont be used very often, so although it needs to be durable and dependable I don't need a new $5,000 inflatable. Also any advice on pricing would be great. Obviously weight is a consideration. I have been looking at getting a lightweight pack raft for a different type of trip, however that wont work for this trip as we need a high weight capacity and a transom rating of at least 6-8hp. Thanks very much for any help!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Fly-in Boat Choices

10ft. or 12ft. Port-a-boat, they both have 3 seats, the 10ft. has a cap. of 530 lbs. the 12ft. has a cap. of 670 lbs. From what I could find, the 12 ft. can take up to 6hp.

I have a 12 foot Port-A-Boat. It's surprisingly good for what it is, but I would not go smaller.

If you are looking for a decent quality inflatable at a fair price, I have had good luck with Saturn Boats.

As much as I like the idea of inflatables in my years of "inexperience" I've found that thay float like a leaf and move effortlessly in the wind. But try to paddle, row, tow or push over X kms is equal to moving a lead balloon. Yes if you can get enough hp behind it, it can skim over the pond like a duck on the wing; but so can a brick. Never had one but a port a boat sounds good to me, probably not the best paddle or rowing but 10 to 1 easier than trying to row a inflatable. And the same for the outboard, a 1.5hp on a hard boat is probably as good a 10 on a inflatable.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

Seems like the porta boat is going to be external cargo for a float plane? Limiting at times. Thx for the suggestion, I will look into them. Also the Saturn boats, probably more what I was looking for.

Costco sells a 10’ zodiac style boat for under $1k. Looks like it’s currently available online. May be something to consider.

Been using one of these for fly in hunts https://gtaboats.myshopify.com/colle...roducts/baraka
    Better then any of those pack rafts hands down.

Thanks for both the ideas above, appreciate it

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    As much as I like the idea of inflatables in my years of "inexperience" I've found that thay float like a leaf and move effortlessly in the wind. But try to paddle, row, tow or push over X kms is equal to moving a lead balloon. Yes if you can get enough hp behind it, it can skim over the pond like a duck on the wing; but so can a brick. Never had one but a port a boat sounds good to me, probably not the best paddle or rowing but 10 to 1 easier than trying to row a inflatable. And the same for the outboard, a 1.5hp on a hard boat is probably as good a 10 on a inflatable.
    I have a small aluminum and a good canoe, so I hadn’t used the inflatable for a few years because those were just better options. But for fly in trips specifically (hopefully at least a couple in the next few years) I think inflatable is the ticket. But I was hoping for arguments for all options so I appreciate the feedback. The main purpose of the boat is hunting moose around the lake (and recovering moose), a little bit of fishing, and as a slow and cumbersome water taxi…

Checkout the Saturn Kaboats. Lots of different models to choose from. They are well reviewed in the Yukon hunting forums.

we were in the same place as you last year and went with the one in the link below. Used it for an 8 day fly-in last year and it worked well. Heavier than some of their other boats so it just depends how light you wanna go and required payload

https://saturninflatableboats.ca/13-...oat-zk380.html